Failed to retrieve site state RRS feed

Answers

• In general, management packs don't create events - they can respond to events.  The rule you are siting, "Failed to retrieve site state" is a workflow - so it isn't clear to me what other type of workflow you are looking for.

One thought is you are thinking about the discovery that finds the sites. 

Microsoft Corporation
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:50 PM

All replies

• In general, management packs don't create events - they can respond to events.  The rule you are siting, "Failed to retrieve site state" is a workflow - so it isn't clear to me what other type of workflow you are looking for.

One thought is you are thinking about the discovery that finds the sites. 

Microsoft Corporation
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Hi Dan!

Sorry about being unclear!

I was trying to figure out what to "turn off" to get rid of the Alert.

The Event description,

"Failed to retrieve the state of the following site: 'XYZ'. The operation will be retried. HRESULT: 0x800710d8 Details: The object identifier does not represent a valid object. One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name: many Instance name: many Instance ID: many Management group: XYZ",

does not seem to be a generic Health Service Modules error.

However, the site IS discovered, rules and monitors run (although monitors could be inititialised with broken logic).

So, we will disable "Failed to retrieve site state" for this particular server.

Best Regards

Roger

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:37 AM
  • An alternative approach is to tune the noise if you can't fix the site is to create a custom version of the rule that includes one more criterion - the name of the site.

i.e. the original rule is as follows

Failed to retrieve site state data source expression

but the actual event has the site name as one of the parameters, and you could choose to NOT consider the event when that parameter matches the name of your "broken" site that you intend to ignore:

Event 33857 failed to retrieve site state event parameters

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:41 PM