none
Windows Update (KB4489882) broke WDS and MDT RRS feed

• Question

• On my WDS and MDT server I have installed update 2019-03 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4489882). However, after installing this update, it is no longer possible to load PXE images on client systems

These start with loading Files and then get an error:
    Windows failed to start a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. Status 0xc0000001

This seems to be related to: - A remote code execution vulnerability exists in the way that Windows Deployment Services TFTP Server handles objects in memory. An attacker who successfully exploited the vulnerability could execute arbitrary code with elevated permissions on a target system.
    (CVE-2019-0603) what they have fixed in this update

When I uninstall the Windows update KB4489882 from my server, everything works as it should again.

Is there a solution for this problem?
    • Edited by HKLM_ Friday, March 15, 2019 1:10 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2019 1:10 PM

Answers

• here try  this :

Open Windows Deployment Services console / Right-click your WDS server in the left pane and open Properties

then Open tab “TFTP” and  uncheck “Enable Variable Windows Extension”

Restart your WDS server.

MCP - MCTS - MCSA - MCITP

• Marked as answer by HKLM_ Monday, March 18, 2019 12:05 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2019 3:53 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem on a Windows Server 2012 R2.

Attempting to PXE boot on a client machine, the files would begin to load before giving the "Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."

Removed the KB4489881 patch and everything started working again.

Friday, March 15, 2019 2:29 PM
  • here try  this :

Open Windows Deployment Services console / Right-click your WDS server in the left pane and open Properties

Restart your WDS server.

• Marked as answer by HKLM_ Monday, March 18, 2019 12:05 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2019 3:53 PM
  • I can confirm your 100% right - been pulling my hair out all night!

WDS/PXE ran fine yesterday (pulled off multiple builds) then after the update all my boot images suddenly won't work and fail with the Oxc0000001 error.  Strange thing is it only appears to have affected x64 images (x86 still appears to work).

Created a new deployment share and built from scratch and I get a mix of the above error and very occasionally i have managed to get the x64 boot wim to to get past the load point where the windows splash screen is but its frozen there and won't progress.

Just business as usual in regards to Microsoft's bull*shit updates and using us as their personal guinea pigs.

Fantastic idea of getting rid of all your Q&A staff Micro$oft.  Sooner a competitor to them comes out the better, they've seriously gone down hill the last few years and it's only getting worse in addition to MMicro$oft becoming more arrogent.

Friday, March 15, 2019 9:52 PM
  • Yes that works but its a taking some time to diagnose the problem and change the settings on our 12 deployment servers. 
    • Edited by Nom Nom Monday, March 18, 2019 9:23 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2019 9:23 AM
  • here try  this :

Restart your WDS server.

WORKS!

Best Regards

• Proposed as answer by Jay Insley Monday, March 25, 2019 5:39 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2019 9:28 AM
  • here try  this :

Restart your WDS server.

That works for me
    Monday, March 18, 2019 12:05 PM
  • here try  this :

Restart your WDS server.

it works also for me, after the apply of last patch WDS stop to work, this workaround solve my problem
    Monday, March 18, 2019 2:39 PM
  • NOT working for me, using Windows Server 2019 with WDS... A susual M$ has a major downfall in quality, as good as it was with the Win10 October Update, so sad...... Microsoft, if you read this, you're screwing up again.........
    Monday, March 18, 2019 4:07 PM
  • Unchecking the TFTP option is a workaround but downloading the boot image is now considerably slower. It seems these days we are constantly fighting patching that breaks MS products. Microsoft fix this please.
    Monday, March 18, 2019 11:03 PM
  • Running WDS on Windows Server 2012R2. Broke with KB4489881

Problem 'solved' by disabling “Enable Variable Windows Extension”

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:00 AM
  • This resolved our issue as well.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:55 PM
  • Does Microsoft not use MDT to image their own machines? This is such simple bug to detect.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 12:26 PM
  • My name is Michael.

I have been developing a program that allows anyone that uses SCCM or MDT to automate and modulate their boot image creation, deployment , and delivery processes - for issues specifically concerning this failure on Microsoft's account, their negligence to sustain quality and integrity - as well as a general release of the headache involved in local administrators attempting to maintain Microsoft's precious 'architecture'.

What many of you may not know is that they have a much faster and better product. It is called Kubernetes. What it does, is it actually bypasses many of the software tools you are paying a lot of money for, that take a lot more time than the method they are keeping to themselves. Azure Web Services, Amazon Web Services, they are the same thing.

What it also does, is it automates the deployment processes of virtual machines that result in an image that they can distribute to whoever wants to pay them the most money. That is what they are doing, what is not shared, is that these systems also anaylze the data that people are uploading to these virtual machines and then 'copying' the methods these businesses use to make their profit. Eventually, they create a copy of that product or service you offer and then they 'cut you out entirely' from your own market. This is the manner of deduction I have come to, and I aim to develop a competing product for these following reasons...

I asked Michael Neihaus/Johan Arwidmark/Mykael? Nystrom to respond to my request for the updated Powershell delivery project they were working on, on Github on March 3, 2019. They have since closed that project. I have restored it to GitHub because I intend to provide the same exact product, only, it will be reformulated so that it encapsulates their methods of pulling telemetry data from their users.

I sense that this post may be quickly erased or deleted. That's ok. I have a video of me writing this post/response for the astute among you who have realized the mistake their update has made... is also a mistake that I intend to counter with a ubiquitous deployment mechanism that uses their own tools...

...for a lot less money... ...and wastes a lot less of your time... ...and I will educate those on the entire process... ...so that this company stops wasting people's money, and time.

www.securedigitsplus.com
    https://github.com/mcc85s/PSD-Master
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:00 PM
  • Thank you!  This worked for me.  Much appreciated.  
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:50 PM
  • Works for me.  Thanks! 
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 5:29 PM
  • here try  this :

Restart your WDS server.

Worked for me as well.
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 5:32 PM
  • here try  this :

Restart your WDS server.

Works perfectly for me. Thank you very much!!!
    Friday, March 22, 2019 11:59 AM
  • THANK YOU!

Such a PITA. 

We just installed SCCM, Thought it bombed the system when we rebooted it for updates. -ALL the googling led me to SCCM threads until I somehow landed here.   You are a god

Thursday, March 28, 2019 3:56 PM
  • here try  this :

Restart your WDS server.

NIce work, PXE again works with this tip. Many thanks.
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:11 PM
  • here try  this :

Restart your WDS server.

This did the trick for me :) thanks, saved me from searching for hours on why it suddenly stopped working.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:08 AM
  • This works for me too! Thank you very much
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 9:52 AM
  • Worked for me!
    Monday, May 6, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Doenst work for me with all clients, got brand new asus laptop and its crashing .

Nice job MS again.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:33 PM
  • It does NOT work on Windows Server 2019.... The only thing that worked was to uninstall that bloody update... Quality is obviously no priority for M$$$
    Friday, May 17, 2019 8:36 AM
  • You're a rock star! I *almost* called M$ over this problem.  

I'll take it all back if my testing fails..  :-) 

Chad

Friday, May 17, 2019 3:55 PM
  • It works :) Thanks.
    Friday, May 24, 2019 12:14 PM
  • How in the world you came up with the solution??? I do thank you for your solution. I have been at this issue for at least 3 weeks. Simple as "uncheck ...the variable".

Appreciated.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 7:50 PM
  • Is there a solution for this problem?

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windows-itpro-docs/issues/3882

Blame the Servicing Stack

Left Side is a Broken Winre.wim, compared to its normal working counterpart on the Right Side, prior to the KB being applied. Read more in the GitHub Issue. This issue is not Desktop or Server SKU dependent, but universal.

https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/22638b50-1410-472f-a256-a9bc0936a27a?upload=true

-NeoB

Friday, June 7, 2019 10:53 AM
  • They don't Assess or Deploy.

-NeoB

Friday, June 7, 2019 10:54 AM
    • Proposed as answer by benweston Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:34 AM
    • Edited by benweston Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:12 AM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:33 AM
  • And introduced a new issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4512816/devices-that-start-up-using-preboot-execution-environment-pxe-images-f
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:49 AM
  • Oh Microsoft. :/

Ta for the heads up Pavel.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:24 AM