Microsoft update does not know that I am windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am Trying to instal Windows media player 12... When I get to the page it tells me to buy windows 7.  I own windows 7, and when I look ant my version I get: Windows 7, Home Premium... Version 6.1, (build 7601, Service Pack 1).

The download page thinks I have XP...

This Forum Thinks I have XP.     HELP

Todd48

Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:57 PM

Answers

• I Think what you are telling me is that I have windows media player 12.  And I am only assuming that an upgrade would be available in in the over 2 years since I loaded Windows 7.

You are probably right. 

I have a windows media player, and it is functioning properly.

I will use the one I have.

Thank you for you time and Help

Todd48

Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:23 PM

All replies

• Now you need to tell us the rest of the story!

Windows Media Player 12 is included on the DVD with Windows 7, unless you have the N or KN editions which do not have it.

See info @ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-media-player

Please provide more specifics about your situation. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:24 PM
  • I Thought I could use an upgrade...  My current windows Media is Version 9. My DVD is copyrighted 2009... and has a number on it of X15-60500-01.  I thought that windows media was upgradable.  How can I tell if I have an N or KN.

Thanks for your help

Todd48

Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:51 PM
  • There is something grossly wrong with your story to this point!  What you say just doesn't match up.

You cannot have Media Player 9 on your system if you have Windows 7 installed!

You need to have someone actually look at your system to see what's there.

I cannot provide any recommendations based on what you have posted and because I cannot actually see what is on your system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Will windows media player 11 work on windows 7?  The download page will allow me to download ver 11.

I tried the 7N and 7KN.  it let me download then would not load.  

When I loaded windows 7 on my machine about 3 yrs ago I got windows media player... I am probably wrong on the version, but was Windows media player at version 12 then? 

I think my Problem is that the download page thinks I am an XP machine.

You help is appreciated,

Todd48

Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:47 PM
  • I Think what you are telling me is that I have windows media player 12.  And I am only assuming that an upgrade would be available in in the over 2 years since I loaded Windows 7.

You are probably right. 

I have a windows media player, and it is functioning properly.

I will use the one I have.

Thank you for you time and Help

Todd48

Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:23 PM