MP SQL Server 2005: objects not monitored RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to everyone,

Hi have some object relation with SQL MP with health state “Not monitored”.

I have the last management pack for SQL Server (System Center Pack for: SQL Server Ver: 6.0.6648.0).

All physical node are correctly monitored, and they have enabled “this agent to act as a proxy” check box.

I have done the procedure base on http://blogs.msdn.com/mariussutara/archive/2009/03/27/what-is-new-opsmgr-2007-r2-discover-multiple-cluster-network-names-virtual-server.aspx:

1.   Open OpsMgr2007 R2 console.
    2.   Navigate to Authoring, then Object Discoveries
    3.   Change the scope to Virtual Server (to simplify location of discovery)
    4.   Select Windows Clustering Discovery and then select “Override the discovery”
    5.   Pick Multiple Servers Discovery and change override value to true

In Administration / Agentless Managed I have the next object with state “Not monitored”

Health State    FQDN    Description      
    Uninitialized    VINSTSQL002.domain.local    instance      
    Uninitialized    VINSTSQL201. domain.local    instance      
    Uninitialized    VINSTSQL202. domain.local    instance      
    Uninitialized    VCSQL000. domain.local    Cluster group name      
    Uninitialized    VCSQL100. domain.local    Cluster group name      
    Uninitialized    VCSQL200. domain.local    Cluster group name     

Any help at all here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Monday, April 19, 2010 10:02 AM

Answers

• Finally, the problem was relation with fqdn (dns name) of those not monitored objects.

If I did ping to name without FQDN (only the name of instance or virtual node), I had reply. But if I used fqdn (instance.domain.local) not had respond.

We have added host A register to DNS Server and the problem was resolved.

• Marked as answer by Entelekia Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Entelekia Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Entelekia Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:44 AM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:17 PM

All replies

• What is the actual problem? I believe the SQL MP supports monitoring of clusters. What you are seeing above is normal, it shows that the clusters are discovered. Having them "not monitored" is the expected state in that view. You should go to the SQL server views and see whether the cluster nodes are monitored there.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Yes Ake, in the SQL Servers view all cluster nodes are monitored. But I don't understand why I have 6 objects with state "not monitored".

Cheers

Friday, April 23, 2010 7:27 AM
  • In essence what you see in the agentless managed view is just confirmation that the virtual servers were discovered correctly (I assume they represent the different network names). That is a requirement for getting the other MPs that use the cluster to work (in your case the SQL server MP). It uses different means to monitor SQL, but is dependent on the first configuration steps (agent proxy, network names override, etc).
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Friday, May 28, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Finally, the problem was relation with fqdn (dns name) of those not monitored objects.

If I did ping to name without FQDN (only the name of instance or virtual node), I had reply. But if I used fqdn (instance.domain.local) not had respond.

We have added host A register to DNS Server and the problem was resolved.

• Marked as answer by Entelekia Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Entelekia Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Entelekia Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:44 AM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:17 PM