none
Excel 2016 Power Query RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so I am a IT systems administrator responsible primarily for the Finance team. As we all know Finance staff just love excel so here is the jest....The company have just started upgrading everyone to Office 2016 and Finance now want some of there very old huge spreadsheets re written; one is a transaction sheet that takes data from various tables in SQL so far no issue; but what I cant find in Power query is where the user can enter the parameters. I would need 2

Year

Posting type

Is the only solution to use VBA to pass the parameters to SQL?

Many thanks

• Edited by Ian a Mac Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, you wanted to add two additional parameters (Year and Posting type) to Power Query, is my understanding correct? The scenario likes below:

Select col1,col2 from table_2 where user = para1 
    Select col1,col2 from table_2 where user = para1 and Year = para2 and Postingtype = para3

The above T-SQL query is your expected result? If my understanding is incorrect, please provide more detail information about your goal. Where do you want to add the additional parameters to?

>>Is the only solution to use VBA to pass the parameters to SQL?

You could pass the parameters values using VBA or user entering to SQL.

I also suggest you post your problem to Power Query forum to get more information.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=powerquery

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 9:16 AM
  • In essence yes' I have made some progress But will re post in forum you suggest.

Appreciate the response.

Many thanks

Friday, May 20, 2016 4:37 AM