none
First time takes a long time to load RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question: I have an app in azure. The first time I call this app, it takes about 20 seonds to load. The next times, it takes about half a second.

If the app isn't used for 5 minutes, then it takes a long time again.

Anybody know a solution for this? (I could make a batch program which calls the program every 4 minutes, but that wouldn't be a very nice solution).

Regards, Leonard

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Leonard,

This sounds like your application loads a lot of content that is cached for 5 minutes (maybe OutputCache).

Can you give us a bit more information on the page you're trying to load? (I don't think a batch program is the way to go)

With regards,

Patriek

www.patriekvandorp.net
    If this reply is of help to you, please don't forget to mark it as an answer.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 3:19 PM
  • It could be that you are exceeding the idle timeout for the application, although 5 minutes does seem a bit short. I believe it should be 20 mins. by default.

Steve Marx has a blog post explaining how to change the timeout (see http://blog.smarx.com/posts/controlling-application-pool-idle-timeouts-in-windows-azure) using a startup task.

But before you do that, try accessing the applicatoin using its IP address to rule out any DNS issues.

• Marked as answer by Wenchao Zeng Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:53 AM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 3:24 PM