none
Winodws 2008 R2 VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Support,

I have Windows 2019 standard as host and a Windows Server 2008 R2 running a legacy software.  I would like to know how I can keep this VM Windows 2008 R2 going safely?  I know after 1/14/2020 there will be no updates.  How can disconnect the connection to the internet and but not keep it in the network?  Or any other recommendation in this situation.

I appreciate all your help.

Jamshid

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

Here're some answers of your questions.

Q1: >>I would like to know how I can keep this VM Windows 2008 R2 going safely? 
    A1: According to my understanding, the safe operation of the VM you mentioned is to allow the VM to run normally. You can consider the following aspects: install patches on time, enable the windows firewall, and regularly back up the VM.

In addition, as the support for win 2008R2 is coming to an end, we recommend that you upgrade your virtual machine as soon as possible. 

Q2:>>How can disconnect the connection to the internet and but not keep it in the network? 
    A2: If you want to disconnect from the external network, I suggest you use an internal or private virtual switch. For more information, you can refer to:Create a virtual switch for Hyper-V virtual machines 

Hope the information can be helpful and if there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,
    Cynthia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

You could consider isolating your network / VLAN for your Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machines.
    A How-To Guide on Setting Up Hyper-V VLANs

Then simply don't allow the Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machines to communicate out to the Internet.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 6, 2019 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 9:33 AM