PST on network Share RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a problem on a new company computer (Windows 10 1903 with Office 2019). My client have POP mail and we used to be able to put the PST file on a network share. I know this isn't best practice and isn't supported by Microsoft but for now this is the best we can do to make sure those PST are in the daily backup and that we won't loose any emails if a computer hard drive fail.

On this new computer I can't get Outlook to connect to the PST when it's on the server, I always get the following message:

Can't store Outlook data files under the AppData folder. Please choose another folder

If I put the same PST anywhere on my local disk I don't get this message. Does anyone have a workaround I could use ?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I have a problem on a new company computer (Windows 10 1903 with Office 2019). My client have POP mail and we used to be able to put the PST file on a network share. I know this isn't best practice and isn't supported by Microsoft but for now this is the best we can do to make sure those PST are in the daily backup and that we won't loose any emails if a computer hard drive fail.

On this new computer I can't get Outlook to connect to the PST when it's on the server, I always get the following message:

Can't store Outlook data files under the AppData folder. Please choose another folder

If I put the same PST anywhere on my local disk I don't get this message. Does anyone have a workaround I could use ?

Thanks

Your only real choice is to backup the file locally on the workstation if you are going to use a pst. 

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 9:43 PM
  • Hi,

It is not recommended to store your PST on a network share, because accessing PST files from a network or external drive can result in corruption. And Outlook is now blocking access to PST not on the local drive.

There is an article for you to know more about this: Why Outlook user should not Store PST on a Network? Get the Answer Here.
    ( Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

So it is suggested to refer to the suggestion of Andy to backup the PST file locally on the workstation.

In addition, if possible, you can configure your account as IMAP or create an Outlook.com account then import your PST in to it, the emails will store in the server.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results.

Besides, please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, June 24, 2019 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:42 AM