How to Upgrade from SQL Server 2008 Trial Version to License Version RRS feed

• Question

• I am an SQL Sever newbie. I started with the SQL Server 2008 trial version. I have just obtained the license for the full version and wish to apply it. Do I have to reinstall? Or can I simply upgrade the trial version? How do I do this?
    Monday, January 23, 2012 10:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Crashcup,

The trial version can be upgraded to a full version once you have a key. It is actually very easy and can be done through the GUI or through command prompt.

This is covered in the Licensing FAQ on the SQL Server website:
    Q.  How easy is it to migrate from a trial version of SQL Server 2008 to the final purchased product?
    A.  You can upgrade an instance of SQL Server 2008 Evaluation Edition to other editions of SQL Server 2008 without uninstalling Evaluation Edition. For details, see SQL Server 2008 Version and Edition Upgrades.

If you are a GUI person just launch the SQL Server setup and go to the “Maintenance Tab”, you will see the “Edition Upgrade” option there. Follow a couple of steps in the wizard, provide the key and you are all set.

Regards, Amber zhang
    • Marked as answer by amber zhang Monday, January 30, 2012 7:13 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to complete an upgrade install however it should retain all your configuration and data. You should back up everything first though just in case.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707783.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Monday, January 23, 2012 11:00 AM
  • Many thanks
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:06 PM
  • No problem. Please click the Mark as Answer button for the post if it answered your question. Thanks.

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Edited by Sean Massey Monday, January 23, 2012 11:28 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 11:28 PM
  • There is no place to enter the key to convert the trial version to the fully licensed version, you can upgrade in the following two scenarios:

1)   Upgrading from trial Edition prior to the end of the period

To perform an in-place upgrade of SQL 2008 trial edition to other SQL Server 2008 full blown editions, simply run the setup and it will identify the existing installation, and will run an upgrade check. It will then let you know if the upgrade is possible or not. If the upgrade path is supported, simply go through the setup wizard and it will automatically upgrade the already installed instance of trial edition.

2)   Upgrade from trial Edition 2008 after it has expired

You need to uninstall the trial version of SQL Server 2008 Edition before installing the fully licensed version of the other editions.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:04 PM
  • Hi Crashcup,

The trial version can be upgraded to a full version once you have a key. It is actually very easy and can be done through the GUI or through command prompt.

This is covered in the Licensing FAQ on the SQL Server website:
    Q.  How easy is it to migrate from a trial version of SQL Server 2008 to the final purchased product?
    A.  You can upgrade an instance of SQL Server 2008 Evaluation Edition to other editions of SQL Server 2008 without uninstalling Evaluation Edition. For details, see SQL Server 2008 Version and Edition Upgrades.

If you are a GUI person just launch the SQL Server setup and go to the “Maintenance Tab”, you will see the “Edition Upgrade” option there. Follow a couple of steps in the wizard, provide the key and you are all set.

Regards, Amber zhang
    • Marked as answer by amber zhang Monday, January 30, 2012 7:13 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:48 AM
  • Please review these links:

http://www.sqlcoffee.com/SQLServer2008_0013.htm

http://sql-articles.com/articles/dba/installing-sql-server-2008/

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:43 PM