Newbie needing help RRS feed

• Question

• I started a new job recently and have no experience with Forefront.  The previous Admin installed Forefront Client Security on the 64-bit Windows 7 workstations with the NOMOM option and also installed the console on a server.  I was able to get some of the workstations to receive updates and some are imported into the Forefront console using a group policy.  I have several questions, though:

1.  How long does it take before adding a computer to the group policy group before I will see them in the Forefront console?  Will gpupdate /force speed things up?

2.  Where can I find information in *one* place on how to use this product?  Either online or a book recommendation would be good.  The Technet instructions are so vague and only give brief mention of the MOM in the Forefront section.  I had no idea that the MOM and WSUS were involved in this too until I stumbled upon them.

3.  The console tells me I have 6 managed computers.  How can I get a list of which 6 computers those are?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

For client computers configured with a GPO based in Active Directory, it will take about 20 minutes after Group Policy refreshes (that is, after it applies any new settings to the client computer). By default, Group Policy refreshes in the background every 90 minutes, with a random offset of 0–30 minutes. If you want to refresh Group Policy sooner, you can go to a command prompt on the client computer and type: gpupdate /force, If you want the client computer to immediately synchronize with your WSUS server, go to a command prompt on the client computer and type:wuauclt.exe /detectnow. To get the managed computers, you may open the MOM Administrator Console, then click Administration/Computerer/Agent-management Computers, there will be a list for all managed computers.

For more information, please refer to the following deployment guide:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb404255.aspx

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 9:28 AM