Document Library List Location? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am trying to get the path of a document in a list in a document library.
    For example:

Title                                Location
    Doc1.doc                         www.website.com\place\Doc1.doc

I tired everything, but it seems as though I cannot access the location of the file.
    I know that the title section is hyper-linked to the file, but I need the location of the file in an another column.
    I already tried to make a new column called "Location" which is required when you upload the file, but ran into problems since our company upload 100 or so file. Since it is impractical to as enter the location field to each one of those files.

Therefore I need to extract the location property of a document and put it in an another column.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, January 5, 2012 6:10 AM The word Help is not suitable for a title
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:29 PM

Answers

• You could try creating a workflow, using SharePoint Designer, that fires upon new item creation. Use the workflow to populate your column using the Encoded Absolute URL property of your item. Action > Set Field in Current Item. The for Filed choose the column you need populated and for the value use Current Item>Encoded Absolute URL.
    Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant
    • Edited by Daniel A. Galant Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by thanks821 Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:08 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:05 AM
  • Hi thanks821,

You can use workflow in SharePoint Designer to automatically get URL of a document and put it in another column (e.g. Location).

1.  Open your site which the documents library is stored in using SharePoint Designer.
      2.  New a Workflow and attach it to that required document library, select Automatically start.
      3.  In "Condition" : compare the documents fields whether they are equal, between Encoded Absolute URL and custom URL field.
      4.  In “Actions” :  add action "check out item" and set “Location” to Encoded Absolute URL then add action "check item in".

Then Location column will display the URL of the document item in the document library.

Here is an article with images about this topic you can check,
    http://vspug.com/usecases/2007/05/24/displaying-the-document-url-in-a-document-library-column-part-2/ 

Thanks!

Daniel Yang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 6, 2012 8:49 AM

All replies

• You could try creating a workflow, using SharePoint Designer, that fires upon new item creation. Use the workflow to populate your column using the Encoded Absolute URL property of your item. Action > Set Field in Current Item. The for Filed choose the column you need populated and for the value use Current Item>Encoded Absolute URL.
    • Edited by Daniel A. Galant Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:05 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:05 AM
  • Thank you for the answer much appreciated, I will try your method and will let you know.
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:22 AM
  • What if I don't have sharepoint designer. Is there any other way to do it?
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:10 PM
  • SharePoint Designer is a free download from Microsoft.
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Sorry I am new to this. Yes I will install and try your method as soon as I can. In the mean time are there any good tutorial or reads online which can help me learn Sharepoint Designer?
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Hi thanks821,

You can use workflow in SharePoint Designer to automatically get URL of a document and put it in another column (e.g. Location).

1.  Open your site which the documents library is stored in using SharePoint Designer.
      2.  New a Workflow and attach it to that required document library, select Automatically start.
      3.  In "Condition" : compare the documents fields whether they are equal, between Encoded Absolute URL and custom URL field.
      4.  In “Actions” :  add action "check out item" and set “Location” to Encoded Absolute URL then add action "check item in".

Then Location column will display the URL of the document item in the document library.

Here is an article with images about this topic you can check,
    http://vspug.com/usecases/2007/05/24/displaying-the-document-url-in-a-document-library-column-part-2/ 

Thanks!

Daniel Yang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 6, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Thanks for the replay guys.

The problem for me is that I dont have Admin rights to install, therefore even though designer is free, I can't install it. I'm currently trying to get admin rights. I will try your methods as soon as I can get my hands on designer. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:47 PM