none
IE 11 & IE Edge In-Private Browsing Doesn't show Favicons RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I observed that IE 11 In-Private Browsing Doesn't show Favicon, instead it shows IE standard logo. Is this a build-in functionality or it's a bug in IE 11 ??

"Inspect Element - Network tab" also doesn't show any request related to the Favicon while In-Private browsing, but in normal browser I can see the request related to Favicon. 

This is an urgent issue and our Testing Team has raised this concern. Could anybody help me in answering the above queries.

To reproduce, Delete all browsing data, cache, cookies, and everything from Browser history.

Also, what I really want to understand here is - " Does IE 11 - In Private Browsing mode allows storing any values in Cache/Cookies/local Storage ? ". If the answer is NO, then as per my Knowledge - Favicon is a part of Cache/Cookies and that's why I am not able to see the Favicon while browsing the Application in In-Private Mode.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Ritesh

• Edited by Ritesh0608 Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:24 AM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

does this happens on sites that you have already visited? viz: is the site icon still in the cache?

InPrivate mode does not look in the same history db for the site icon. Web pages may contain mixed security protocols that may be blocked by your IE security settings or addons

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:31 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the response.

The IE browser I am using is Out of the Box and no Add-Ons is installed. 

Here are the steps what I am following - 

1. Clear all Cache/Cookies/History from IE 11

2. Open IE 11 In-Private Browser.

3. Browser for the Website.

4. Login to the Website - No Favicon Displayed.

Now Open IE 11 normal browser and repeat 2-4 steps above. 

In step 4 For IE 11 normal browser - Favicon is visible

Now refresh the In-Private browser again and Favicon is visible 

So if there is issue with Mixed Security Protocol - The normal browser should also not allow the Favicon.

FYI - Other browser's In-Private/Incognito mode is working fine.

Thanks

Ritesh

Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:05 AM
  • when you delete history you also delete the favicon image file that is in the cache.

InPrivate mode has its own separate stores for navigation, resources and web storage which are removed when the inPrivate window is closed.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:42 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Please see the differences for Favicon between In-Private Browser and Normal Browser and let me know your thoughts. 

I have used this forum url (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums) for better understanding.

In-Private Browser - IE default favicon

Normal Browser - Technet Favicon is visible

Thanks,

Ritesh

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:12 AM