none
DPM Chaining RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running into an issue with DPM 2010 with regards to setting up cyclic protection between DPM1 and DPM2. Specifically, DPM2 does not show any protected servers which DPM1 is the primary for. I have the DPMAgent from DPM2 installed on DPM1. I can connect to DPM1 from DPM2 and see the entries for "all shares", "all SQL Servers", "All Volumes" and "System Protection" but don't see "Protected Servers" listed. A Note, DPM1 is protecting a HyperV server and its guests. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:28 PM

Answers

• Sorry meant to update this and got side-tracked on a different project.

I solved it.

I had my DPM1 and DPM2 which are in the domain as guests within my HyperV servers. My HyperV servers however were not in the domain and had the agents manually installed on them. So even though DPM1 could see HyperV1 and its guests, DPM2 could not see could not see DPM1's protected servers. I put my HyperV servers in the domain, reinstalled the agents via the admin console and everything is happy. Although I realize now that to best leverage HyperV and DPM I will need to install DPM on the HyperV host, which I was initially hesitant to do.

Thanks for your help :)

Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:24 PM

All replies

• Did you install the DPM agent on DPM1 via the administrator console on DPM2? Or did you install the agent manual ? 
    Manual agent installation will not work.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Yes I Installed via the administrator console.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Hi Dittie,

Can you please check whether DPM writer on DPM 1 is up and running.

Please also check that DPM writer is listed after running following command.

vssadmin list writers

Regards

Mukul Shekhawat [MSFT]

This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Sorry meant to update this and got side-tracked on a different project.

I solved it.

I had my DPM1 and DPM2 which are in the domain as guests within my HyperV servers. My HyperV servers however were not in the domain and had the agents manually installed on them. So even though DPM1 could see HyperV1 and its guests, DPM2 could not see could not see DPM1's protected servers. I put my HyperV servers in the domain, reinstalled the agents via the admin console and everything is happy. Although I realize now that to best leverage HyperV and DPM I will need to install DPM on the HyperV host, which I was initially hesitant to do.

Thanks for your help :)

Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:24 PM