[Win 7 x64 Home Premium] - Intermittent BSODs w/ Different Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have been having ongoing BSOD issues for longer than I care to remember. I have done a bunch of research and testing to no avail. That is why I have come here hoping that someone could dissect my BSOD minidumps to see if they can point me in the right direction. Here's the basics about my computer:

Mobo: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8Z68-V LX
     CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
     GFX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
     8GB DDR3 RAM (2x4GB - Corsair, I believe.

I honestly believe it's an issue with either the RAM or some kind of bugged driver. I've run Memtest86+ for 12 solid hours with all tests (that's roughly 2-3 full passes) without issue, so I don't /think/ it is the RAM, but I'm not ruling it out.

What gets me is that I've done a clean install of Win7 x64 HP and performed minimal software installation (Steam & drivers, basically) and I'm getting the BSODs at random intervals with varying error codes. This is why I think it might be a bugged driver of some kind, but I'm not sure what.

Bugcheck Codes I've seen thusfar:
     0x109 - CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
     0xD1 - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
     0x1000007E  - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
     0x19 - BAD_POOL_HEADER
     0x3B - SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Here are all my Minidumps since my clean install (zipped up on my SkyDrive):
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A353059F8164643F%21420

Any & all assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Mike

Monday, December 16, 2013 10:47 PM

Answers

• Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I've run Driver Verifier using the steps contained within that Wiki you linked, and, sure enough, it crashed on boot twice! (I just wanted to make sure.)

I was able to get into Safe Mode and clear the settings.

Here's my new minidumps while DV was active: Minidumps-DV
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A353059F8164643F%21421

What'cha see?
    -
    Mike

EDIT: I ran the DV-enabled minidumps through WhoCrashed and got the following:
    - - - - - - - - -

On Tue 12/17/2013 12:50:26 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\121613-15615-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x9A879)
    Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0xF6, 0xAC, 0xFFFFFA800A35BB30, 0xFFFFF8800F31F879)
    Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.93
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.93
    Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
    A driver references a user-mode handle as kernel mode. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.93 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google query: NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

- - - - - - - - -

That's crazy if it has been my graphics driver all along. I just updated it upon my latest clean install from Nvidia's website. I can't imagine why it would be bad.

• Edited by xMikezillax Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:40 AM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:57 AM

All replies

• Mike

For memtest to stress the memory enough it needs to be run for 6-8 passes.  That being said I suspect it is a driver and not memory and for that you need to run driver verifier

Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)

If you are having any problems or get stuck at any point feel free to ask questions

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
    If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, December 16, 2013 11:49 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I've run Driver Verifier using the steps contained within that Wiki you linked, and, sure enough, it crashed on boot twice! (I just wanted to make sure.)

I was able to get into Safe Mode and clear the settings.

Here's my new minidumps while DV was active: Minidumps-DV
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A353059F8164643F%21421

What'cha see?
    -
    Mike

EDIT: I ran the DV-enabled minidumps through WhoCrashed and got the following:
    - - - - - - - - -

On Tue 12/17/2013 12:50:26 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\121613-15615-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x9A879)
    Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0xF6, 0xAC, 0xFFFFFA800A35BB30, 0xFFFFF8800F31F879)
    Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.93
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.93
    Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
    A driver references a user-mode handle as kernel mode. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.93 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google query: NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

- - - - - - - - -

That's crazy if it has been my graphics driver all along. I just updated it upon my latest clean install from Nvidia's website. I can't imagine why it would be bad.

• Edited by xMikezillax Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:40 AM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:57 AM
  • Mike

Sorry about the delay.  Have been offline for a week. Yes it is Nividia and yes yours is current.  I would revert back a generation to an older driver the current one seems to have a bug.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 1:25 AM
  • For anyone who finds this page first through searching Google, the 500 series of nVidia cards have been known to have issues with the latest drivers for quite some time. It's possible these issues have been fixed - or will be fixed in the future - but if you are getting BSOD and similar problems, use the 314.22 WHQL driver version, as it is the most stable for older cards.
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:44 PM
  • MRC

Thanks for the information

Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:00 PM