none
Why is there a 500 page limit in SharePoint 2013 XML Sitemaps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we've recently noticed that there appears to be a 500 page limit for the generated XML sitemap in SharePoint 2013 publishing sites. I can only assume that this is a default limit somewhere, perhaps in a search query? I've looked and there does not appear to be any obvious way of overriding this. Does anyone have any knowledge of this limitation and if there is anything we can do to increase it? Most enterprise sites will exceed this number quite easily I would have thought.

Given that XML Sitemap guidance is to keep the number of URLs below 50,000, and that the file is generated daily by an out-of-process service, I can't see a good reason for this limit to be imposed.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:43 PM

Answers

• This is a bug. The has no hard limit in the timerjob, but a logical fault. 

You can bypass it by setting the search service application max results to over 3750. Default setting is 500. 

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication

$ssa.MaxRowLimit will by default return 500. 

Change it to something like 5000 and the timejob will create a sitemap with hundreds of thousands of pages if needed

$ssa.MaxRowLimit = 5000

$ssa.Update()

Start timerjob

• Edited by Espen - Friday, March 17, 2017 11:59 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Espen - Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by j.strugnell Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:03 AM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 11:56 AM

All replies

• Hi j.strugnell,

How and where did you find the 500 page limit? Please provide the screenshot about it.

The XML Sitemap is generated by the Search Engine Sitemap job Timer Job which by default runs daily. Per my research, there is no official article introduces the limitation of SharePoint XML sitemap. For the search limits, you can refer the following article.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787.aspx#Search

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 24, 2016 7:07 AM
  • Hi Linda,

We found this issue because there are only 500 pages in the XML Sitemap that gets generated, even though the actual number of pages exceeds this. We've seen this issue across multiple farms. There is an example here: http://www3.northamptonshire.gov.uk/sitemap0.xml

When I mentioned search limits that was based on the assumption that 'under the hood' the Timer Job you mention uses Search APIs to build the site map.

I couldn't find any official documentation either, hence me logging the issue here.

Thanks,

James.

Monday, June 27, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Hi Linda, are you able to look into this issue any further? Our client is pressing for a solution. Even if the response is that this cannot be changed, at least we can move forward and look at alternatives.

Thanks,

James.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 10:40 AM
  • Just in case anyone is interested, we raised a support ticket with MS for this and they confirmed there is a 500 limit, "by design" apparently.

They have said they will consider increasing it. It is with the product team from here.

• Marked as answer by j.strugnell Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:03 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by j.strugnell Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:03 AM
  • This is a bug. The has no hard limit in the timerjob, but a logical fault. 

You can bypass it by setting the search service application max results to over 3750. Default setting is 500. 

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication

$ssa.MaxRowLimit will by default return 500. 

Change it to something like 5000 and the timejob will create a sitemap with hundreds of thousands of pages if needed

$ssa.MaxRowLimit = 5000

$ssa.Update()

Start timerjob

• Edited by Espen - Friday, March 17, 2017 11:59 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Espen - Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by j.strugnell Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:03 AM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 11:56 AM
  • Espen, thank you very much. We'd given up hope of this being resolved. I've applied your suggestion and we now have a sitemap with over 7000 items, and a very happy customer.

Thank you.

Friday, March 17, 2017 2:27 PM
  • No problem. I was facing a similar situation.

I am not an active user of these forums, so I am unfamiliar with the functionality. Perhaps you could upvote the post to help others with the same problem.

-Espen

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:40 AM
  • Done!
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:03 AM
  • This was incredibly helpful. Was searching all over as I was having the issue of the sitemap not updating, but at the same time, I didn't know about this limit.
    Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:20 PM