App-V Sequencer crashes when package contains a specific executable RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to sequence an application that contains the following executable: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/172349/reg.exe

When I try to save the package at the last step, App-V Sequencer always crashes with a generic "Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer has stopped working" error.

I've narrowed down the crash to this single executable. To reproduce the crash all you'd have to do is attempt to sequence a package with this executable in the installation directory. No other files are needed.

I believe the executable is called upon by another exe for some kind of DRM/DVD check, but I'm not sure how relevant that is.

Would appreciate it if someone could take a look at why merely having this exe in the package causes the sequencer to crash. I'm using the latest App-V 5.0 SP2.

Thanks.

• Edited by lewisl.9029 Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:01 AM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have the same problem, using App-V 5. There is no problem in App-V 4.6.

Converting from 4.6 to 5 gives the error "Attempted to read or write protected memory" and the PowerShell crashes.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:42 AM
  • Hello,

What happens if you delete the file Before proceeding in the wizard, and then test-run the application?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Deleting the file allows the sequencing wizard to proceed without error, but the application itself needs this reg.exe to run, so the resulting package isn't particularly useful to us.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:49 PM
  • Hello,

What happens if you remove it, complete the package and then create a script to copy it back when executing the package on the client?

Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:23 AM
  • Hello,

In addition to the above test, you can try HF4 (which includes a new version of the sequencer);

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2956985

Friday, May 2, 2014 9:25 AM
  • A quick update:

We got it to work using a script to copy the exe back into the package on execution, so I voted this solution as the answer.

However, this is a rather ugly workaround and the sequencer really shouldn't just crash inexplicably on any input, so I hope someone is still looking into why this is happening. FYI the HF4 sequencer also crashes on packages containing the same exe.

Saturday, June 7, 2014 1:59 AM
  • It might be an interesting test to copy some other "known" exe into a package and rename as reg.exe to see what happens.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Sunday, June 8, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Just tried this with an exe from another successfully sequenced package and the sequencing completed without error.

Also, the crash still occurs if we rename the problematic reg.exe to test.exe, but not if we remove the .exe extension altogether and rename it as "test".

Seems like some procedure involving .exe files in the sequencer's package saving process is the cause of the crash.
    Monday, June 9, 2014 3:44 AM