No more anti-spam filter or block list updates? RRS feed

• Question

• Our Exchange Server 2007 (Enterprise) was receiving these updates rather frequently until February 2nd. There was a connection error but then nothing. I just looked in the Microsoft update catalog and the server is has the latest updates (compared against the Exchange console).

What gives? Did support stop? Or, when will the spam and block list updates resume? Our spam has increased dramatically since that date... I've been searching a lot but everything I find only talks about having that service enabled, which it is.

TIA

Here are the latest versions I have installed:

• Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Enterprise Block List Updates v3.3.14529.029    (2/2/2015)
    • Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Enterprise Anti-spam Filter Updates v3.3.14528.472    (1/29/2015)
    • Edited by kylee6114 Friday, March 20, 2015 10:39 PM added current versions
    Friday, March 20, 2015 10:32 PM

All replies

• Have you tried running Microsoft Update?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:13 PM
  • I have and I have every update running on the server. There aren't even any optional updates to apply. But, it is successfully finding updates when they're available. (I've installed quite a few since these stopped showing up.) 

The anti-spam filter and block list updates were running automatically, and there were no other additional updates around the time that it started updating (so a conflict wouldn't make sense). I didn't even notice anything until our spam picked up, because the updates were set to automatically apply (through WSUS) and had been for a long time. 

I've looked at this Microsoft feed (http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Rss.aspx?q=exchange+server+2007+anti-spam&lang=en) but it only goes up through the updates I have listed. I keep looking everywhere, but nothing suggests the updates are not the latest... It's really weird, to say the least.

Monday, March 23, 2015 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to disable Anti-Spam Automatic Updates to check this issue.

Disable-AntispamUpdates -Identity SERVER01

How to Configure Anti-Spam Automatic Updates

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125199(v=exchg.80).aspx

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 30, 2015 2:27 AM
  • Thank you for trying to help and offering that reply. I did try that originally. I've disabled and re-enabled both through the command line and through the management console. Everything shows that the updates are off/on (as I make the change), indicating all the commands are working as they should.

Unfortunately, it seems there just aren't any updates. It doesn't make any sense. When I go to the link below, I don't see anything there beyond February 1st. And, I have all the updates through then (on the block/spam side) and I can receive manually and automatically all the updates for SBS 2008 in general since. It's just this one product feature not working/updating...

Is anybody getting updates for Exchange 2007 Enterprise?

Here's the link that's not showing any updates since February 1st, 2015:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Rss.aspx?q=exchange+server+2007+anti-spam&lang=en

Monday, March 30, 2015 6:47 PM
  • I don't know why, but my linked account has disappeared. Anyway, I'm the one who started this thread.

After still finding nothing (and it being over 11 weeks since the last update), I called Microsoft and talked with various people for a total of 3 hours. Even supervisors could not provide an expected date that the updates would resume. The only thing I could get any of the 4 people to offer me was to open a tech support ticket via a $499 credit card hold, since we don't have an active service agreement. They assure me that we won't be charged if they deem it to be a problem on their end and not ours. While it's definitely on Microsoft's end, it's a gamble I'm waiting on my supervisors to decide if they want to take.

I'm pretty taken aback that no one at Microsoft and nowhere I've found online can provide an answer to this question, especially with Exchange 2007 Enterprise is still supported (well, on paper, at least). 

I will update if I get any further. If anyone else finds the answer before I do so, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:04 PM
  • You're not the only one to notice the lack of updates, not only for E2007. Someone I was talking to suggested that since they now offer Exchange Online Protection as a paid service, they want to force people onto that. I find that a bit hard to believe at the moment (it's a great way to annoy your customers), but not entirely unbelievable.

It would be good to hear from someone who definitely has received an update recently, but if they have, no-one is sharing this information.

OWA For SmartPhone

Friday, April 24, 2015 10:13 AM
  • I'm pretty sure no one is/has, because the catalog/RSS feed of updates straight from Microsoft even doesn't have anything listed. And I've been looking everywhere. The built-in wasn't the best on the market, but it sufficed (especially once I built on it with some transport rules) and is already paid for. 

And agreed... great way to annoy your customers (to put it lightly)... So frustrating that they want to siphon $800+/yr from our agency every year by prematurely forcing a switch to a paid/subscription spam filter service.

Friday, April 24, 2015 10:30 PM
  • I just noticed the same on my Exchange 2010 edge transport server. No clue what's going on there. No new Exchange Antispam filter versions in the WSUS since your mentioned version.
    Monday, May 4, 2015 10:50 PM
  • Wow, that's even worse they are shorting the Exchange 2010 users too... I mean, I figured they were the utilizing the same filter updates, but even so... 

Any chance you have a service agreement to set up a "free" tech support ticket? I can't get my boss to fork out the $499 credit card hold so I can talk with a tech (who supposedly would be able to answer the question, unlike every CS rep)...

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 11:25 PM
  • The silence on this issue is astonishing.

OWA For SmartPhone

Thursday, May 7, 2015 9:32 AM
  • Yes it is, Lee! ... 
    Monday, May 11, 2015 6:25 PM
  • I just saw this post today, hopefully this will bring some more attention to this problem.  http://blogs.msmvps.com/bradley/2015/05/11/missing-your-antispam-filter-updates/

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:28 PM
  • I have just noticed that my WSUS received new Anti-spam Filter Updates.

v3.3.14918.484

• Proposed as answer by Kylee5389 Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:49 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 11:26 AM
  • Yep. Anti-spam and Block List updates came out today. Here's to hoping it doesn't take another 3+ months for the next update!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:57 PM
  • I really can't image that this could ever happen. Customers paid some noticeable amount of money to get the Enterprise license. It is impossible that this happens. ;)
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:55 PM
  • After over 3 months of no updates of a supported piece of software, we've now had 2 consecutive days of updates for both the Spam and Block List filters. I guess we can all die happy because we've seen the impossible. ;-)
    Wednesday, May 20, 2015 2:53 PM