MOSS 2007 - Copy item workflow (failed to start) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I've been given the tedious task to investigate why a clients workflow fails to start and the client receives the dreaded "un expected error has occured"

First of all the Workflow is a SharePoint Designer workflow that uses the codeplex solution http://spdactivities.codeplex.com/ to extend SharePoint designer functionality to be able to copy an item from one library to another...

8 out of 10 the workflow will work but then there's times where in the workflow history you will see it error with workflow failed to start...

Does anyone have any suggestions on a possible way to tackle this issue?

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Aries thanks for the support -

The workflow that was running was against a document library with 20,000 items or more with listviews exceeding the 5,000 threshold limit...

I've sorted the view issues and item size and workflow's are running smooth once more .

Appreciate all the posts to help.

Monday, July 29, 2013 7:04 AM

All replies

• 2 questions for you before I try and answer

1 - Is the library / list open to annonymous users?

2 - Assuming that this is SharePoint 2007, can you try and locate any log errors within the Hive/12/LOGS folder?

Cheers,

Steven Andrews

SharePoint Business Analyst

Blog: Steve's SharePoint Space  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, July 22, 2013 9:54 AM
    Answerer
  • 1 - Yes

2- the only errors I can find are these - Potentially excessive number of SPRequest objects (31) currently unreleased on thread 21.  Ensure that this object or its parent (such as an SPWeb or SPSite) is being properly disposed. 

When I try simple OOTB workflow's that aren't apart of http://spdactivities.codeplex.com/  it works fine , so I'm thinking of retracting and redeploying the solution.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:08 AM
  • Hi James,

how is the retract and redeploy process result, do it gives you a result that you expected?

usually when it came to trouble shoot about workflow, i follow this article, for the first steps:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/sharepoint-designer-help/troubleshoot-workflow-errors-HA010237912.aspx#BM39

based on your description, perhaps in the middle of the process, there were another process that causing the other workflows were not able to be started. so trace this, i think process monitor may help to check if should there is another process in between, then compare with ULS and application log.

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Aries - MSFT Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:22 AM typo
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:21 AM
  • Hi Aries thanks for the support -

The workflow that was running was against a document library with 20,000 items or more with listviews exceeding the 5,000 threshold limit...

I've sorted the view issues and item size and workflow's are running smooth once more .

Appreciate all the posts to help.

Monday, July 29, 2013 7:04 AM