Office 2007 deployment completely fails RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to deploy Office 2007 with SCE. Is it normal that the install starts when a user tell a computer to shut down/restart? Anyways, thats what happening. Then it says "Installing update 1 of 1...", and it does not finnish. I left to test computers on overnight, and when I came back the next day, they had quit the installation with a "Terminated by client" error. This error occured aprox. 14 hours after the installation started. I have created a custom install file using OCT, and put this in the Updates-folder. I am using the setup.exe on the Office root catalog as installation package.
    To sumarize, this is what happens:
    1. I create the package, and set a deadline
    2. Nothing seems to happen on the clients until I select restart.
    3. "Installing updates" takes forever, then fails with error code 0x80242007, then the computers restarts and Office is not installed.

I have searched the forum and the web for this issue, but haven't been able to find a decent answer. Could anyone help? This is the last piece of the puzzle of our SCE testing phase, and it would be so nice to make it work.

Thanks in advance
    Friday, May 16, 2008 1:56 PM

Answers

•  

<paste>

Hi Ty, thanks for your reply.

I have completed the steps in the walkthorugh, but I must admit that I'm unsure of a couple of things:

1. The guide mentions a /config svitch and a config.xml file. I thought this wasn't necessary when I used OCT and an MSP file?

2. It also mentions a network distribution point to be created manually, but isn't this the Updates\UpdateServicesPackages folder in SCE? If the network clients is trying to install from another location it may be a security rights issue. If not, the UpdateServicesPackages folder is shared with domain users read & execute rights.

</paste>

(1):  It depends on the complexity of your scenario.  Since it is possible to chain installations, add languages, etc. the config XML will need possible edits and utilization.  Here is a video which will explain the basics of performing this scenario; it may need adaptation for your unique needs:

Deploying Office 2007 with System Center Essentials 2007

(2):  The Updates\UpdateServicesPackages folder is not globally accessible to all managed systems.  This folder is a working directory intended for use when constructing content only; It is not to be used by systems external to System Center Essentials server, or SCE console management tools.  The final delivery of packages happens from a set of folders deep within the content directory.  Network distrubition points are only necessary for advanced installations and future repairs. 

Please review the video (about 4 minutes), and let me know if that process alleviates your issues.  If not, let's walk through your scenario step by step. 

I hope that helps

/Ty

PS:  for more videos, visit this link:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sce/bb684945.aspx

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:40 PM

All replies

•  

Hi there,

Sorry to learn of your troubles getting SCE to deploy Office.  This package is considerably large and complex, so I will try to work through the details as best as I can. 

Specific to your error, it means "The installer took too long and was terminated" which doesnt offer alot of insight around the root cause. 

Before getting into a deep troubleshooting session, I want to confirm that you have walked through the guidance document around this which is located at:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179040.aspx .

Thanks!

/Ty

Friday, May 16, 2008 11:05 PM
  • Hi Ty, thanks for your reply.

I have completed the steps in the walkthorugh, but I must admit that I'm unsure of a couple of things:

1. The guide mentions a /config svitch and a config.xml file. I thought this wasn't necessary when I used OCT and an MSP file?

2. It also mentions a network distribution point to be created manually, but isn't this the Updates\UpdateServicesPackages folder in SCE? If the network clients is trying to install from another location it may be a security rights issue. If not, the UpdateServicesPackages folder is shared with domain users read & execute rights.
    Monday, May 19, 2008 6:42 AM
  •  

<paste>

Hi Ty, thanks for your reply.

</paste>

(1):  It depends on the complexity of your scenario.  Since it is possible to chain installations, add languages, etc. the config XML will need possible edits and utilization.  Here is a video which will explain the basics of performing this scenario; it may need adaptation for your unique needs:

Deploying Office 2007 with System Center Essentials 2007

(2):  The Updates\UpdateServicesPackages folder is not globally accessible to all managed systems.  This folder is a working directory intended for use when constructing content only; It is not to be used by systems external to System Center Essentials server, or SCE console management tools.  The final delivery of packages happens from a set of folders deep within the content directory.  Network distrubition points are only necessary for advanced installations and future repairs. 

Please review the video (about 4 minutes), and let me know if that process alleviates your issues.  If not, let's walk through your scenario step by step. 

I hope that helps

/Ty

PS:  for more videos, visit this link:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sce/bb684945.aspx

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:40 PM
  • And then there was success!

It seemed that I had to select "Basic install", not "Full install" in the OCT. Office now installs, and it even goes fast! This was great, thanks.

There is one more thing:
    After I'd approved the package for deployment, I attempted a restart on one of the test computers. Instead of shuting down, it said "Installing updates (1 of 1)", and it seemed to hang there. This is the oldest test computer (P3 254RAM) so that might've been a problem, but when I forced it off, booted it up again, logged in and waited for a while, Office installed successfully on this one to. So my question is: Is there a problem with installing packages when shutting down the computer, or is this PC just a little bit old?

Thanks
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:12 AM
  • I am happy that this remedied your issue. 

I am unsure why the older machine encountered a hang.  It may be that Windows Installer needed more time to complete, or that pre-existing Office states contended.  It is hard to tell.  One note.. install@shutdown is in the LOCAL SYSTEM context; similar to scheduled/deadline installations.  It may be that an interactive installation was needed to nudge that system along. 

Glad to know you are rolling. 

/Ty

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:45 PM
  • I'd like to add to this question. We are having the exact same problem with our SCE Office 2007 deployment, except for the fact that this problem only occurs on Vista Clients. We have 3 Vista Business SP1 clients which all have this exact problem with the package install timing out with error 80242007. The exact same package deployed through SCE 2007 SP1 works just fine on XP clients. Suggestions?
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:43 PM
  • I don't see the "Basic" or "Full" options in the most recent version of OCT.

Can you help me out?

Friday, May 8, 2009 7:58 PM