Exchange environment - Adding a reverse proxy - what is needed? RRS feed

• Question

• My current setup is a router with port forwarding to Exchange - firewall - Exchange server.

I will be adding a Skype for Business 2015 Edge server and a reverse proxy, configured in Server 2016, between the Exchange server and router somehow (to be determined).

What settings in a reverse proxy would be needed to ensure that there will be no disruption to service for Exchange as I'm guessing I will no longer be able to port forward?

The 2 will be on the same ISP with 1 public IP address.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Exchange server forum mainly discusses and provide suggestions about Exchange server issues. Since your issue is more related to Skype for Business side, we will help you move this case to Skype for Business forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 2:47 AM
  • Hi,

Exchange server forum mainly discusses and provide suggestions about Exchange server issues. Since your issue is more related to Skype for Business side, we will help you move this case to Skype for Business forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Reverse proxy isn't Skype specific. The reason I am adding a reverse proxy is due to Skype. I need to know what is needed to keep Exchange operational.

I also needed to change the subject as the subject was determined by the original thread subject.

• Edited by Susan_773 Wednesday, January 15, 2020 3:08 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2020 3:06 AM
  • Hi Susan_773,

In fact, there is no feature impact between Skype for Business server/Exchange server with the router. You need only make sure that the request can transfer to the correct server. I also confirmed with the Exchange support engineer. 

In addition, it is not recommended that the two servers use the same public IP address.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:21 AM
  • My network has 2 ISP's for different services.

Right now, I can log into Skype for business on a desktop client outside of the building when it is on the same ISP as my Exchange server without an edge server/reverse proxy present.

When I change the Skype server to use the other ISP, I lose that ability to log in off site. Public DNS is changed. This ISP has a device between my modem and router used for our VoIP traffic and uses the public IP for itself.

What is needed to get Skype to work on the 2nd ISP so I don't need to purchase another IP address?

Thursday, January 16, 2020 5:01 AM
  • Hi Susan_773,

What is the device between the modem and router? It seems the VoIP traffic do some settings in the ISP which have impact on the Skype for Business server.

The network adapter of each server in Skype for Business server topology must support as least 1 gigabit per seconds (Gbps). In general, you should connect all server roles within the Skype for Business Server topology using a low latency and high bandwidth local area network (LAN).

You can refer to the network requirements for Skype for Business as the following link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/network-requirements/network-requirements.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Friday, January 17, 2020 10:02 AM
  • Hi Susan_773,

Do you have any further issue on this topic?

Meanwhile, if there is no issue, please remember to mark helpful reply as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Friday, January 24, 2020 8:37 AM
  • I don’t hear from you for a long time. If you have any update, please feel free to share with us.

Here I will provide a brief and temporary summary of this post.

<Request/Expectation>:

Question 1. My current setup is a router with port forwarding to Exchange - firewall - Exchange server.

I will be adding a Skype for Business 2015 Edge server and a reverse proxy, configured in Server 2016, between the Exchange server and router somehow (to be determined).

What settings in a reverse proxy would be needed to ensure that there will be no disruption to service for Exchange as I'm guessing I will no longer be able to port forward?

The 2 will be on the same ISP with 1 public IP address.

Question 2. My network has 2 ISP's for different services.

Right now, I can log into Skype for business on a desktop client outside of the building when it is on the same ISP as my Exchange server without an edge server/reverse proxy present.

When I change the Skype server to use the other ISP, I lose that ability to log in off site. Public DNS is changed. This ISP has a device between my modem and router used for our VoIP traffic and uses the public IP for itself.

What is needed to get Skype to work on the 2nd ISP so I don't need to purchase another IP address?

<Suggestions>:

Question 1. In fact, there is no feature impact between Skype for Business server/Exchange server with the router. You need only make sure that the request can transfer to the correct server.

It is not recommended that the two servers use the same public IP address.

Question 2. It seems the VoIP traffic do some settings in the ISP which have impact on the Skype for Business server.

The network adapter of each server in Skype for Business server topology must support as least 1 gigabit per seconds (Gbps). In general, you should connect all server roles within the Skype for Business Server topology using a low latency and high bandwidth local area network (LAN).

<Reference Links>:

You can refer to the network requirements for Skype for Business as the following link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/network-requirements/network-requirements.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 9:10 AM