Monitor keeps going dark RRS feed

• Question

• I read through the posts here and I can't seem to find my specific problem I'm having with this one client's unit.  This is truly odd.

He has Windows Vista and has 2 monitors.  One is a 17" screen and the other was a 24"w.  All of a sudden, his monitor started turning black after a moment.  He thought it was the video card.  I started at the beginning:  cable connections, etc, all was well.  I pulled in another monitor and it worked fine.  We put the original (i-INC1) monitor in the closet.  Then, the next day, the other i-INC2 (we suspected this one didn't work anyway, so it was only a test to see if it'd work on PC1 or PC2) monitor did the same thing.  Then, I tried a Hanns-G monitor we had here and the same thing happened.  So, we took the spare video card out from one other unit that isn't being used and put it in his pc (we will call it PC1). 

The problem still happened.  So, I took PC1 and put it in a cubicle and hooked it up there and took that pc (PC2 now) and put that in his office and put the i-INC1 monitor back in there.  All was well for the first part of the day, toda... then it turned black.  Then, I put the monitor from the cubicle (random one sitting there that isn't widescreen) and it started working.  I took the i-INC1 monitor out and put it over at the cubicle and it powered off over there.

In short, it seems that this one area won't keep his 2nd monitor (the one on the left, in this case) on.  I can't figure out if there is some kind of interference or not.  There's an old speaker there, but, he has experienced no issues before Friday.

Monday, March 25, 2013 9:11 PM

All replies

• Check : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaie/thread/28672c34-3c8d-499b-9ea9-7de34693504d

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Check : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaie/thread/28672c34-3c8d-499b-9ea9-7de34693504d

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Hard disk checks out fine.  19" monitor works just fine on his PC2.  The Hanns-G monitor (22"w) is working today.  Before, it did act up a bit, but, today, that is working.  the i-INC1 monitor is shuttdown on PC1 still in a different location.  I'm thinking it may just be the monitor, but I am not sure on how to test it.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Hanns-G monitor just went black.  I can power it off and back on and it stays up for about 2-5 seconds and then powers off.  Monitor is set to refresh at 60 MHz.  Other option is 59 MHz and it powers off as well.  This only happens on the second monitor (orientation is:  2  1).

We were wondering if there could be some kind of interference coming from the battery backup that is under the desk, right by the PC.

More info:  We closed out AutoCAD 2010 LT and it's stayed up for a bit.  I'm rather baffled.  I feel like maybe the video card may be somewhat taxed, even though not much is actually running.  It's Vista Business x64 with 4 GB of ram and a video card.  I think it's a 1 GB video card.
    • Edited by boydgrossii Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:16 PM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Now the HG monitor is turning off.  When this happens, I can't hit the menu buttons on the monitor and do anything.  When it goes dark, it's as if it's turned off, but the green power light is still on.

I'm 100% confused on this one.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:55 PM
  • It's an issue with monitor.  please get the hardware checked with the vendor or try to check the monitor on a different system 

Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:18 AM
  • It's an issue with monitor.  please get the hardware checked with the vendor or try to check the monitor on a different system 

That's the weird part...It's happened on 3 monitors and 2 separate pc's.  Any other time, I'd say "monitor" or something like that, but, I feel it in my bones, it's something different.
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:44 AM
  • Only thing left is, but your vga card or video adaptor. 

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:44 AM