Upgraded to MDT 2013 - old deployments not working - parse error - copyprofile error RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded from MDT 2012 U1 and Waik to MDT 2013 and ADK 8.1. My windows 7 deployments quit working after the upgrade. I installed ADK 8.1 and upgraded 2012 to 2013 then upgraded the deployment share. Since the upgrade I am getting copyprofile errors when MDT is trying to sysprep the machine then I am in a reboot loop. Not sure what changed. The error is "windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied." In the setup log files it says the copyprofile could not be done. The deployments all worked before the upgrade. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:01 AM

All replies

• Check your DISM.log on your running deployment. You can find it in C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log, this will reveal why the unattended.xml could not be parsed at the specialize pass.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:14 AM
  • You updated your deployment share, but did you remember to replace the boot image in WDS?

Also, did you open your deployment share from within Deployment Workbench? It should prompt you that it needs to be updated. After you did that, update your deployment share and then replace the boot image in WDS.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:48 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. My DISM file doesnt tell me anything. It is not at the location after the system reboots. The exact message I get is

Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass(specialize) The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component Microsoft windows Shell Setup.

I get this message from all of my windows 7 images when trying to apply them. These were okay until I updated the deployment share for MDT 2013. Under the shell setup in the unattend.xml I have

BluetoothTaskbarIconEnabled  (blank)

ComputerName (blank)

CopyProfile  True

DisableAutoDaylightTime false

DoNotCleanTaskBar  True

ProductKey (blank)

RegisteredOrganization   CompanyName

RegisterOwner  CompanyUser

ShowWindowsLive false

StartPanelOff (blank)

TimeZone Central Standard Time

Something in the unattend.xml that 2013 doesnt like perhaps?

Thanks..

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:04 PM
  • Thanks for you reply. I did update the share and we are using PXELinux in place of WDS but my boot images are updated in mdt and being used. It is getting through the deployment process and reboots. Then while trying to sysprep it comes up with

Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass(specialize) The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component Microsoft windows Shell Setup.

This is happening with all of our windows 7 images that were in mdt 2012 ..

Thanks..

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:10 PM
  • Looks like you have statements in your unattend.xml file whitch are incompatible.

Me, I don't change anything in unattend.xml. Just use the default xml as provided. Never needed anything to change in the file.

You can try using an unedited unattend file to see if the resotres full deployment.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:57 AM