none
Backup of clustered vm with storage space inside RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I´m running WS 2012R2 hyper-v cluster using csv volumes, and protecting the cluster with DPM 2012 R2. (with hardware snapshot and allowing only ONLINE backup)

I recently started using storage Spaces inside some of my VM´s (also running 2012R2) but DPM jobs fails saying it needs to be offline to backup.

In eventlogs on the Hyper-v host i see:

"SERVERNAME": The Virtual machine "VM ID"cannot be hot backed up since it has storage space disks in it

I have searched the net for any informations about dpm and support for storage Spaces inside a vm but can´t find anything useful.

So i´m hoping someone here can help or provide any hints.

Thanks

Tommy 

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As noted, the Windows Hyper-V writer on the host communicates with the integration components inside the guest in real-time when a backup is initiated and will place the VM in a saved state if the requirements for online backup cannot be met.  DPM plays no role in that decision.  As configurations change inside the guest, they may bounce between online and offline backups. 

To get a real-time view of how the next backup will be performed, you can run the following test.

To list Windows 2012 R2 hyper-V writer captions for guests to see if online or offline state backups will be done:

From an administrative command prompt on the Hyper-V server:

a. Type: copy con script.txt and press enter
     b. Type: list writers and press enter
     c. Press CTRL + Z + enter (to save)
     d. Type: diskshadow /s script.txt | find /i "caption: O"

Output will be displayed for each guest as follows.

C:\temp>diskshadow /s script.txt | find /i "caption: O"
                            - Caption: Online\SQLSERVER
                            - Caption: Offline\WSS-V14

The Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V writer adds the VM in the following format:

For offline backups: Offline\<VMName>
     For online  backups: Online\<VMName>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As noted, the Windows Hyper-V writer on the host communicates with the integration components inside the guest in real-time when a backup is initiated and will place the VM in a saved state if the requirements for online backup cannot be met.  DPM plays no role in that decision.  As configurations change inside the guest, they may bounce between online and offline backups. 

To get a real-time view of how the next backup will be performed, you can run the following test.

To list Windows 2012 R2 hyper-V writer captions for guests to see if online or offline state backups will be done:

From an administrative command prompt on the Hyper-V server:

a. Type: copy con script.txt and press enter
     b. Type: list writers and press enter
     c. Press CTRL + Z + enter (to save)
     d. Type: diskshadow /s script.txt | find /i "caption: O"

Output will be displayed for each guest as follows.

C:\temp>diskshadow /s script.txt | find /i "caption: O"
                            - Caption: Online\SQLSERVER
                            - Caption: Offline\WSS-V14

The Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V writer adds the VM in the following format:

For offline backups: Offline\<VMName>
     For online  backups: Online\<VMName>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:30 PM
  • Hi Mike

Thanks for your answer.

I found out that it seems that my senario is not supported with current versions of WS 2012R2 and DPM.

A VM with Storage Spaces inside can not be "HOT/ONLINE" backedup. (Properly due to missing support on the setup).

If anyone have a good solution of how to take online backups of vm´s with Storage Spaces inside please let me know.

Tommy

Friday, January 30, 2015 9:05 AM