ADFS 2012 R2 - Error while Upgrading from WID to SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am trying to migrate my ADFS database from WID to SQL ( SQL 2012 Express) , I have followed the below links, so as per the instruction done the following steps successfully which are - Stop ADFS on primary server, Connect to WID using SSMS , detach the database , copy to SQL server and attached and changed data source in ADFS server .  I am getting the following error while running the powershell command for pointing to new SQL instance and the ADFS service is not running .

Does ADFS service starts after detaching the WID databases ? I am not sure that is the cause if then the provided steps are wrong ?  Please let me know if anyone has performed this before and successful .

PS C:\Users\administrator.CONTOSO> Set-AdfsProperties -ArtifactDbConnection "Data Source=[App1\SQLExpress];Initial Cat
    og=AdfsArtifactStore;Integrated Security=True"
    Set-AdfsProperties : ADMIN0017: An exception occurred while connecting to the configuration service. The configuration
    service URL 'net.tcp://localhost:1500/policy' may be incorrect or the AD FS Windows Service is not running.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Set-AdfsProperties -ArtifactDbConnection "Data Source=[App1\SQLExpress];Initial  ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (:) [Set-AdfsProperties], PolicyStoreConnectionException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ADMIN0017,Microsoft.IdentityServer.Management.Commands.SetServicePropertiesCommand

Links followed for migration steps :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/23563.windows-server-2012-r2-ad-fs-migrate-your-ad-fs-configuration-database-from-wid-to-sql-server.aspx

https://blog.kloud.com.au/2015/11/19/windows-server-2012-r2-adfs-3-0-migrating-adfs-configuration-database-from-wid-to-sql/

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

San

Sunday, November 5, 2017 11:23 AM