query reg FTA in appv RRS feed

• Question

• I have a query reg FTA in appv. I was reading some of the blogs of app v and found that if a locally installed application say Adobe Reader 9.0 is existing. Suppose if we deploy virtualized Adobe 10.0, it says it will overwrite the FTA and will open virtualized pdf.
    How is this mechanisim happening?
    Is it overwriting in local registry ?? since FTA are opening with virtualized reader.  In Microsoft documentation of APPV 46 sequencing guide i found "<MGT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>: This section lists all of File Type Associations thatwill be registered on the client, so an application can be launched by double-clicking a file"
    What is registering mean? Is it writing into local regitry??
    what happens if i unpublish virtualized Adobe Reader 10.0?? will the pdf open

I am really curious to know these. I dont have app v installed to test in my pc

Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:03 AM

Answers

• Even though App-V will isolate the application from the OS, file type associations must still be written to the real Registry. Otherwise Windows will not know which application to start when the user opens a file.

File type associations suffer from last-write-wins - which ever application is added last will be associated to those file types. This is a limitation of Windows.

When an App-V application is published, it can be targeted to a user or to the machine (global). If user-targeted, the file type associations are written to HKCU\Software\Classes and do not overwrite any HKLM entries, but the application becomes the default for that user.

If the application is targeted to the machine, the file type entries are written to HKLM and the application becomes the default for all users on the machine.

Removing a user targeted package will revert the file type associations to the global FTAs. Removing a global package should restore the file type associations to the last associated application.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 9:33 AM
  • "Removing a global package should restore the file type associations to the last associated application".....How this will happen since unpublishing or uninstalling the MSI results in the removal of those registry keys.....

This probably depends on how many applications you have installed and which order apps were installed in. I haven't looked into it complete detail, just though testing I know it works. It's not that much different to an application deployed via an MSI

By the way how can we sequence per machine...I think we can publish per user through appv management console. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. 

Sequencing is independent of the publishing/deployment method. You can publish per-user with the App-V Management Server or the SFTMIME command. You can publish per-machine via SCCM or the MSI generated with the package - this really just using the SFTMIME command with the /GLOBAL switch

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 1:47 PM

All replies

• Even though App-V will isolate the application from the OS, file type associations must still be written to the real Registry. Otherwise Windows will not know which application to start when the user opens a file.

File type associations suffer from last-write-wins - which ever application is added last will be associated to those file types. This is a limitation of Windows.

When an App-V application is published, it can be targeted to a user or to the machine (global). If user-targeted, the file type associations are written to HKCU\Software\Classes and do not overwrite any HKLM entries, but the application becomes the default for that user.

If the application is targeted to the machine, the file type entries are written to HKLM and the application becomes the default for all users on the machine.

Removing a user targeted package will revert the file type associations to the global FTAs. Removing a global package should restore the file type associations to the last associated application.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Thanks for the reply..

"Removing a global package should restore the file type associations to the last associated application".....How this will happen since unpublishing or uninstalling the MSI results in the removal of those registry keys.....

i...whichever application is added  latest will associate to those file types which means its overwriting the registry...so in case of HKLM..will result in no registry keys

By the way how can we sequence per machine...I think we can publish per user through appv management console. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. 

Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:53 PM
  • "Removing a global package should restore the file type associations to the last associated application".....How this will happen since unpublishing or uninstalling the MSI results in the removal of those registry keys.....

This probably depends on how many applications you have installed and which order apps were installed in. I haven't looked into it complete detail, just though testing I know it works. It's not that much different to an application deployed via an MSI

By the way how can we sequence per machine...I think we can publish per user through appv management console. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. 

Sequencing is independent of the publishing/deployment method. You can publish per-user with the App-V Management Server or the SFTMIME command. You can publish per-machine via SCCM or the MSI generated with the package - this really just using the SFTMIME command with the /GLOBAL switch

Saturday, April 30, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Thanks for the reply

Just want to know the scenario's we encounter while sequencing tough packages in appv ???  since one of my friend who is involved in seqenceing told me its very very easy the sequencing and publishing and didnt encounter any challenging scenario's after sequencing almost 20 packages compared to normal application packaging .

Need the challenges we faced during sequencing

Sunday, May 1, 2011 7:58 AM