Changing email setting from IMAP to POP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to change the connection between GMAIL and Outlook 365 (No exchange server involved) from IMAP to POP3. What I don't want to do is to lose the mail residing in the IMAP folders in Gmail and Outlook. Many articles suggest making a new account. I don't know if they are referring to a new account on Gmail or Outlook. I'm having trouble understanding how it could be outlook since there is not an account there anyway. There are OST and PST files is that what the "new" account is referring to? Once this account is connected I assume to Gmail via Pop3, then all the inbox mail would be delivered including that which resides in the IMAP folders.

I will appreciate more of step by step instruction so that my existing mail is saved.

Thank you

Saturday, March 9, 2013 3:04 AM

Answers

• Thanks I solved the problem and now I am using POP3 again. Gone are the "mail storms" trying to synchronize with each other. The mail on my Android phone now sync's correctly, as does Outlook, and my Tablet.

Luckily I took some steps to save my mail since when you change from IMAP to POP3 you basically lose all your mail even if you specify an existing .pst file to use.

I think the IMAP developers still have some major issues to resolve.

• Edited by Mel Stanley Monday, March 11, 2013 8:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:00 AM
    Monday, March 11, 2013 8:05 PM

All replies

• New account refers a new profile

you create a new profile. You can do that by going to Control Panel and then Mail and then Show Profiles and then create a new profile

delete outlook profile

Anil Kumar (MCITP)

Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Thanks I solved the problem and now I am using POP3 again. Gone are the "mail storms" trying to synchronize with each other. The mail on my Android phone now sync's correctly, as does Outlook, and my Tablet.

Luckily I took some steps to save my mail since when you change from IMAP to POP3 you basically lose all your mail even if you specify an existing .pst file to use.

I think the IMAP developers still have some major issues to resolve.

• Edited by Mel Stanley Monday, March 11, 2013 8:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:00 AM
    Monday, March 11, 2013 8:05 PM