none
Printer drivers need reinstalling after every reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a college and we have a number of network printers shared, when we connect to a network printer it installs the driver and everything is fine but after we reboot and try to print again to the same printer it asks to install the drivers again, this happend repeatedly.  This is only happening on vista and windows 7 machines.

I have heard that this is a known problem for vista machines and that there is a fix available but i can't find it anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am still in desperate need of a fix, anyone any ideas?
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:48 AM
  • Reviving an old thread. I'm experiencing similar issues. I can't say that it's every reboot, but users have to reinstall network printer driver even though driver has not changed. They call every couple of days.

Windows 7 Professional.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Hi Thanks for replying, i am still having issues with this, It is not dropping the printer connection but it comes up with "Driver Update Needed" and when users try to update the drivers they do not have the privilages.

Another strange thing is that its only happening with the printer queue, i can connect to a printer directly without going through the queue and it will always be fine.

I have been at this issue for months and its becoming ever more annoying now that alot of our systems are vista and windows 7, at the moment we are fixing the symptoms rather than the issue.

Any ideas
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Hi folks,

only some additions. This problem can be caused by more than one fact. Tony has already mentioned the first one.

1) Not enough rights or priviliges. ( If a driver installation fails because of not enough privilige not in all cases an event is registered ).

2) The second MOST IMPOTANT thing is a lot of printer drivers uses "SHARED DLL's". This means if you add or install a NEW printer driver to your print server all printer drivers which uses this shared dll will be updated. In example if you add a new printer driver named HP 5000 to your print server and if this driver uses the same shared DLL with HP 3250, all clients which uses HP 3250 will be forced to update their driver.

3) The third important thing in this problem is, if you add or install a printer driver on your print server you should monitor your system events. Event ID 20 should be registered only one time for one specific driver. If it occurs one time we can say that the installation was successfull. If event ID 20 occurs more than one time for a specific driver, this would indicate a problem. Therefore check your system events, to be sure that the driver was installed properly.

4) Create a test client and give him full administrator rights on his machine and check if the same problem occurs also on this client.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

EDU
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 12:50 AM
  • I am having a similiar problem - I have a laptop running Windows Vista Service Pack 1 connected via USB cable to a HP Deskjet 6940.  It always worked fine until the latest updates from microsoft (in the last week 3/15/10 - 3/31/10).  Now, every time I unplug my USB cable from my laptop, then plug it back in, I need to re-install my printer drivers.

This seems quite rediculous, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Friday, April 2, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Hi,

could you please tell us the numbers of the installed updates. Please click Start > Run > type "appwiz.cpl" and then click "View installed updates" on the left pane. It will show you all the updates which were installed on your pc. Please send us the kb article numbers from this time frame.

Additionally please check and inform us if some system events regarding your printing problem were registered.

To do : Start > Run > and type "eventvwr.msc"  and check your SYSTEM events. You should check the events from source Print or Print Spooler. Something should be registered. Please copy and paste the events so we will try to help you.

Best regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

http://www.PrintProcessor.com
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

could you please tell us the numbers of the installed updates. Please click Start > Run > type "appwiz.cpl" and then click "View installed updates" on the left pane. It will show you all the updates which were installed on your pc. Please send us the kb article numbers from this time frame.

Additionally please check and inform us if some system events regarding your printing problem were registered.

To do : Start > Run > and type "eventvwr.msc"  and check your SYSTEM events. You should check the events from source Print or Print Spooler. Something should be registered. Please copy and paste the events so we will try to help you.

Best regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

http://www.PrintProcessor.com
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 8:24 PM
  • HP printer drivers can use the link for the connection

Regards

Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:02 PM
  • I have done this and this has been working 75 percent of the time (3 out of 4 people) so it would be nice to have someone else test for me.  We just implemented a new system and one of their recommendations is in internet options.  The option is to clear temporary internet files and folders after closing internet explorer.  We did not have this printer issue until we turned this option on.  This is what our theory is based around.  On Windows 7 with a network printer it downloads the drivers to a temporary file and folder the only one being your internet temp fold.  When this clears and the computer is restarted your computer then clears out the driver thinking it is done with it.  On the one person that this is not working on because this is my test group the only difference is they have a Hard Drive encryption program for their laptop.  Everyone else is on Desktops.  Not sure how that would make a difference but it seems to be.  Not knowing your permissions levels I can’t help out with that too much but I’ll include instruction on how to find the temporary internet files and folders option in internet options.

Control panel just type in internet and you’ll see internet option come up in green at the top of your list.  New window comes up last tab to the right advanced.  On settings scroll down to the very bottom of the list mouse wheel up once.  Third option from the top, make sure it is not checked marked.  Option is Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed.

Best of luck and please let me know the results.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Hi Chris,

if it works on 75 percent of the clients I would do the following thing. Your clients are probably in a domain environment. I would copy the security descriptor (SID) from a properly working client with subinacl.exe (A command line tool which you can download from MS download) and push it to a not working client and test if it solves the problem.

I thing this is the easiest method.

Subinacl is a the most powerfull tool ever !

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

With kind regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:53 PM
  • plz provide solution for windows8
    Friday, June 26, 2020 7:00 AM