none
The Client Advisor program cannot run - client advisor encountered an error while checking computer requirements.

General discussion

• Hi

When trying to join a machine to an SBS 2011 domain, I receive the following error message:

"The Client Advisor program cannot run - client advisor encountered an error while checking computer requirements."

The issue occurs on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on two completely different machines, so it looks like there is a problem on the server.

I have also tried installing all Windows Updates on both operating systems.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this, or where to start?

Thanks

Luke

Friday, May 17, 2013 10:34 AM

All replies

• Both Windows 7 and 8 must be the "Pro version"  to join the domain

"lstratton" wrote in message news:474f1e0e-6ff2-4f8e-a81e-d01ce28fabe7@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi

When trying to join a machine to an SBS 2011 domain, I receive the following error message:

"The Client Advisor program cannot run - client advisor encountered an error while checking computer requirements."

<http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/286083>

The issue occurs on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on two completely different machines, so it looks like there is a problem on the server.

I have also tried installing all Windows Updates on both operating systems.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this, or where to start?

Thanks

Luke

Friday, May 17, 2013 2:37 PM
  • I am using the Professional version of both operating systems, as usual. 

Friday, May 17, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Does anyone have any other ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Luke

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this?  I'm stuck at the same point.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately not. We're having to just join machines to the domain in the conventional way rather than using the wizard, which does the same thing to my knowledge, although who knows what SBS does behind the scenes.

I'll make sure to post on here again if I do find a solution.

Cheers

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:44 PM
  • Well, here we are 5 years later but no solution posted...but have two machines doing the exact same thing as described here.  I'm using Windows 10 Pro and have connected dozens of machines to the domain using "http://connect" in the past, but these two give me the error message shown in the original post.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:14 PM
  • The "below" worked perfectly for me on Build number listed (10240) that was a few years ago

Since then I have tried to make it work with an updated windows 10 pro machine by changing the build number to ("17134") , unfortunately it fails (PS Internet explorer will not do it, USE EDGE)

Go to system information for your build number and replace in  below

User needs to add the following two lines to the XML file on the server located at –
    C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\WebApp\ClientDeployment\packageFiles\supportedOS.xml

<OS Architecture=”9″ RequiredProductType=”1″ RequiredSuite=”” ExcludedSuite=”512″ SPMinor=”” SPMajor=”” Build=”10240″ Minor=”0″ Major=”10″ Name=”Windows 10, AMD64″ id=”9″/>
    <OS Architecture=”0″ RequiredProductType=”1″ RequiredSuite=”” ExcludedSuite=”512″ SPMinor=”” SPMajor=”” Build=”10240″ Minor=”0″ Major=”10″ Name=”Windows 10, x86″ id=”10″/>

Monday, December 3, 2018 8:49 AM