Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade Task Fail RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an issue in trying to upgrade Win 7 Enterprise 64bit machines to Windows 10 Enterprise both N and with Media Pack 64bit in MDT in a corporate environment.  It hangs on the Upgrade OS stage and after about 10 minutes I get the PSOD.

If I run the setup.exe manually then it fails with this message 'setup has failed to validate the product key'.  I'm using a KMS server and I have customized and then sysprepped the Windows 10 image before adding it to MDT.  In an upgrade task, do you have to use a standard Windows 10 image that hasn't been customized?

I've also added the 'WindowsUpgradeAdditionalOptions=/compat IgnoreWarning' flag to my CS file.  Hasn't made any difference.

Hoping that someone may have some ideas about why it is failing.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 2:18 PM

Answers

• Yes, when performing an "Upgrade" you MUST use an unmodified install.wim file that matches your OS type, in this case Enterprise. 

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:43 AM

All replies

• Yes, when performing an "Upgrade" you MUST use an unmodified install.wim file that matches your OS type, in this case Enterprise. 

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:43 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Keith.  I tested this with an unmodified install.wim and hit a problem upgrading that too. My issue was environment related and was because we had Cisco AnyConnect Network Access Manager installed.  Removing that and the upgrade went through.

Disappointing that modified install.wim files don't work. I would want an fully patched image and one that has had a lot of the provisioned apps removed pushing out.  What is the reason why a modified install.wim doesn't work?  At the moment it doesn't make any sense to me, as we go to the trouble of building a golden image for installs, but this doesn't work for upgrades. 

Thanks

Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:43 PM