none
How to continue troubleshooting - RPC Server unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have a couple of computers which I am still not able to scan.

Here is what I have discovered so far:
    • I can ping the client from the MAP maschine (response time 10ms)
    • error message in MAP is "Failed - RPC Server unavailable"
    • wbemtest.exe shows "Error-Nbr 0x800706ba, Win32, The RPC-Server is not available" after pressing Connect
    • Windows Firewall is disabled, no other Firewall installed
    • Service "Remote-Registration" is enabled
    • Service "RPC" is enabled
    • extract from MAP log below

<InventoryWorker 11:55:29> InventoryWorker.InventoryProgressChanged: Progress event.
    <TaskProcessor 11:55:29> TaskProcessor.WorkerProgressChanged: Worker: 'Inventory'
    <ProgressPage 11:55:29> ProgressPage.TaskProgressChangedCallback: sender: Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.UI.Console.Tasks.InventoryWorker
    <DeviceInventoryWorkItem 11:55:29> InventoryWorkCallback() - Device(GUID={CHANGED-CHANGED},DnsHostName='XXXX088') : Device inventory completed. Elapsed time = 00:00:00.182. Collector scan results: Wmi = FailedDueToRPCServerUnavaliable, Registry = FailedDueToRPCServerUnavaliable.
    <InventoryWorkItem 11:55:29> WorkCallback() - Completed InventoryWorkItem with description='DeviceInventoryWorkItem(GUID={CHANGED-CHANGED},DnsHostName='XXXX088')'. Elapsed time: 00:00:00.184

Is there anything else, I could check?

Thanks,
    Torsten.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:00 PM

All replies

• Is there any firewall between the networks?

/Olav
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Thanks, that's exactly, what I did.
    Network firewalls can be excluded - the PC just next does work, in the same network with same setup.

Torsten.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Have you attempted to restart the target machine?  I read an article about how sometimes the RPC services gets in a bad state and a reboot is required.

Monday, February 1, 2010 11:24 PM
  • The machine is started every morning, so this seems not to be the problem.

Any other idea? Maybe some service not running?
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Did the WBEMTEST fail?
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Yes, wbemtest failed (see orignal post) with "The RPC-Server is not available".
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:35 AM
  • Are the Server services running?
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Yes, Service "Server" is running.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Wow this is a real puzzler…

From the sounds of it, you have done all the tests and steps I would have done, and that would have been suggested by the MAP team.

The fact that WBEMTest is failing even after you’ve done all these steps, and eliminated the possibility of 3<sup>rd</sup> party firewalls (which doing internet searches on this issue seems to be a major cause), and your still having this issue I think that your only solution might be bringing this directly to the windows people.

Try contacting http://support.microsoft.com/ and let them know about your failing experiences with WBEMTest and see if they can help you out.

Let us know how it goes and/or if they find your problem.

Thanks,

Eric

Friday, February 5, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Maybe try a newer nic driver?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Were you able to find a resolution to this problem?

Matthew

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Were you able to find a resolution to this problem?

no, sorry. I finally decided not to use the MAP results at all - it was too complicated to get to the detailed level I needed.

-tjacobs.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:16 AM
  • Had the same problem with a Windows 10 machine.

Troubleshooted with trial-and-error using WBEMTEST:

w w w .youtube.com/watch?v=Xtxo8re2_9w

and finally resolved  switching network type from Private to Public, with this guide:

h t t p s [:] //tinkertry.com/how-to-change-windows-10-network-type-from-private-to-public

I suspect that the change between Private/Public has to do with Windows Firewall Rules and/or or other sharing settings applied to different network types.

Cheers

// Luca

(URLs edited as I'm not yet verified / allowed to post links)

• Edited by Luca Bertolani Monday, October 9, 2017 2:50 PM Corrections
    Saturday, September 30, 2017 9:50 PM