none
Help needed to remove and reinstall WSUS/SUP

Question

• Hello

I have an SCCM 1702 server running on a Windows Server 2016 Standard server.  The CM SQL db and SUSDB are located on a separate Windows Server 2016/SQL Server 2016 server (different instances).  Things have been running great, but I had to go and test one of those 3rd party update packages and now my clients can't even get any normal Windows updates.

So, with that, I am looking to start fresh with my SUP/WSUS implementation.  I'd rather keep the rest of the ConfigMgr pieces intact, so a wipe and reinstall is not on the table.  I've read quite a few posts and articles on the best method to achieve this and found all sorts of gotcha's and watch-out-fors.

I'd like a good, up-to-date how-to on this topic, considering all pieces are at the latest operational versions.  I'd ideally like to start the SUSDB all over again.  What is a good step-by-step procedure?  What should I be removing/what directories should I delete/what should I watch for?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 5:40 PM

All replies

• bump...
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:54 AM
  • remove the SUP from SCCM.

remove the WSUS role.

delete the Update service folder (keep the tool folder, you will need it later).

delete the SUSDB

deleted and Folders related to WSUS such as updatescontent and updateservicepackage 

do that on every site system/server where the SUP/WSUS installed

reinstall, note, after you add the WSUS role you will need to run a post install, before you do that make sure you copy the tools folder back into the update service folder.

on a side note, the catalog will reset, that might cause a flood of Network traffic as it will need to update every end point in your environment.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 4:51 AM