Problem with PPS Dashboard Designer introduced by August '11 CU RRS feed

• Question

• A client experienced a problem with PPS Dashboard Designer after installing SP2010 Aug '11 CU on top of SP1.  Has anyone else reported this?  Unfortunately it's caused their dashboard designs to be frozen until a fix is implemented.

I was able to easily duplicate this in the lab...

Problem:

It appears that in this CU, Dashboard Designer hides the Report Server field for SSRS Integrated Mode reports (a good change IMO, since so many users enter this incorrectly).

However, when Dashboard Designer builds the link to pull the report for parameter mapping (and previewing), it builds the URL incorrectly, and then in the client environment reports that the URL entered is incorrect (but actually it's the URL that Dashboard Designer built that is incorrect, not the report URL the user entered. In my lab case, though, there was no error, and no preview.

The result for the client is that current dashboards still work--but no new reports can be added, and current ones can't be edited.

I posted some images of the lab test case here: http://www.robkerr.com/2011/10/performancepoint-users-dont-install.html

--- Rob Kerr CTO, BlueGranite @robkerrbi http://blog.robkerr.com
    • Edited by Rob Kerr Friday, October 7, 2011 12:45 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 12:44 AM

Answers

• Hello,

This issue will be addressed in the December 2011 CU of SharePoint 2010.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Rob,

We do have customers that are running on Aug '11 and using Dashboard Designer successfully.

Could you test something for me?  Can you put your RDL report in a Shared Documents of your root site vs. the site collection?  I would like to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Rob,

This has been reported to our Product Group.

The workaround for this issue is to not put your RDL report in a subsite directory.  If you put it in a root site directory, the report will Preview in Dashboard Designer.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Friday, October 14, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Heidi,

we have excactly the same error Rob describes. The work around you have posted did not work for me. I had to put my reports in the root SiteCollection of the WebApplication that they work (http://sharepointserver/ReportLibrary).

Could you tell us if this error is going to be fixed in the current October CU? It really kills our work and we can not deploy the next version with new SSRS Reports on the productive system.

Thanks in advance

Helge

Friday, November 4, 2011 10:13 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Heidi,

Can you provide an update of when the Dec 2011 CU will be available?  I am experiencing this issue and it is causing a major issue to a BI development project.

Thanks,
    Larry Keyser - UTC

Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Larry Keyser Monday, December 19, 2011 4:25 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:28 PM
  • We installed the Dec 13 CU referenced above and found the following:

Server mode = SharePoint Integrated
    Report URL =
           If I enter in the URL of an rdl file on a different server and hit preview, it works perfect.
           If I enter in the URL of an rdl file on the same server and hit preview, I get an error.  Looking in the logs, we just see a bunch of generic errors about not being able to locate the file.   The report opens up fine when opening directly in the browser.

Has anyone else experience this or know why this is happening?

• Proposed as answer by Larry Keyser Monday, December 19, 2011 4:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Larry Keyser Monday, December 19, 2011 4:21 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 7:45 PM
  • I figured out my issue...the report on the same server required parameters to run however I did not have the "Show Parameters" box checked in Dashboard Designer.  Therefore the report could not be rendered (resulting in the error message) without any parameters.  The report on the other server had default parameters which is why it ran properly.
    • Proposed as answer by Larry Keyser Monday, December 19, 2011 4:26 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 4:25 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Hello

Previously we got August 2011 CU installed. It destroyed Dashboard Designer by hidding Report Server URL. Now I have installed April 2012 CU.

The version of Dashboard Designer is 14.0.06113.5000.  I have also cleaned the cache of old DD and reloaded it again.

Still I can't see the option for Report Server URL.

Do you know the reason? thanks.

Br  Jeffrey

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Heidi,

Can you provide an update of when the Dec 2011 CU will be available?  I am experiencing this issue and it is causing a major issue to a BI development project.

Thanks,
    Larry Keyser - UTC

Hello

Previously we got August 2011 CU installed. It destroyed Dashboard Designer by hidding Report Server URL. Now I have installed April 2012 CU.

The version of Dashboard Designer is 14.0.06113.5000.  I have also cleaned the cache of old DD and reloaded it again.

Still I can't see the option for Report Server URL.

Do you know the reason? thanks.

Br  Jeffrey

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:55 PM
  • I figured out my issue...the report on the same server required parameters to run however I did not have the "Show Parameters" box checked in Dashboard Designer.  Therefore the report could not be rendered (resulting in the error message) without any parameters.  The report on the other server had default parameters which is why it ran properly.

Does the latest Cu fix your problem or not?

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Rob, I ran into the same problem and solved it as outlined in my blog: http://jstevensblog.com/post/PerformancePoint-2010-UI-Missing-with-SSRS-Report-After-Aug-CU.aspx .  You can add the Report Server field back in following this method.

Programmer

• Proposed as answer by jstevens Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:59 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:59 PM