none
DPM not scheduling Incremental Backups Following Recovery Model Change RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have a Sharepoint test server which uses SQL Server 2012 on Windows Server 2012 Standard, protected by DPM 2012 R2.

    At some point in its history, the recovery model of some of the databases was changed from full to simple and back to full again in order to clear down transaction logs which had filled all the available disk space. 

    DPM recognises that these database are in full recovery mode, and we are able to create incremental recovery points manually.  However DPM will not schedule regular incremental backup jobs, although it does successfully schedule and run full backup jobs.

    We have tried refreshing the cache and removing and re-adding the databases to the protection group, but this has had no effect.  The jobs are not failing, they are simply not being scheduled in the first place. 

    I have noticed that there are some suspended jobs on the DPM back end database, which may or may not be relevant.

    Incremental recovery point jobs are running successfully for other databases on the same instance.

    Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:25 AM

Answers

  • Hi,

    This is a known issue if you originally protected the databases using SharePoint protection, then switch to SQL DB protection.   There is a DPMDB setting that doesn't get updated and causes this issue.  Unfortunately, it seems like a DPM SQL DB inconsistency that will require additional investigation that cannot be done if a forum setting.

    If you want to pursue this immediately, you can visit the following web site to open a support incident. The charge to your Credit Card will not be processed until your case is resolved and closed, since it appears to be a code code defect in the DPM then we wave all charges.

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance

    In the Quick product finder, enter:

    System Center 2012 R2 then select System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager


    In the next screen, chose the option that applies.

    Ask the DPM support engineer to reference Content ID: 2814138 to help fix the issue.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:32 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi,

    This is a known issue if you originally protected the databases using SharePoint protection, then switch to SQL DB protection.   There is a DPMDB setting that doesn't get updated and causes this issue.  Unfortunately, it seems like a DPM SQL DB inconsistency that will require additional investigation that cannot be done if a forum setting.

    If you want to pursue this immediately, you can visit the following web site to open a support incident. The charge to your Credit Card will not be processed until your case is resolved and closed, since it appears to be a code code defect in the DPM then we wave all charges.

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance

    In the Quick product finder, enter:

    System Center 2012 R2 then select System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager


    In the next screen, chose the option that applies.

    Ask the DPM support engineer to reference Content ID: 2814138 to help fix the issue.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:32 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for your quick reply Mike.  I'm not aware that we ever used SharePoint Protection but would have to check with the Sharepoint development team.  It seems strange that only some databases are affected if this is the case.  In any case, as this only affects our test server and not our live we will probably just put the databases in simple mode to stop the logs from filling the disk.  Thanks for your assistance.
    Friday, May 22, 2015 9:10 AM