mstsc.exe (Remote Desktop) file does not start RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using windows 7 ultimate with SP1 (it was upgraded from home premium via windows anytime upgrade).

Remote desktop was working fine before except with the problem that when I make remote session at full screen then minimize I can not set it to full screen back again.

I found that there is a shortcut keys to put it back to full screen (Ctrl+Alt+Break) and it works. But I wanted to make it as normal as other windows machines in which you can put a remote session on full screen back and forth by one click.

What I have done is that I copied  mstsc.exe file (and also mstscax.dll) form system32 folder in a working machine (it was windows 7 professional SP1) to system32 in my current machine. I replaced the existing files. Since I have done this RDP did not start at all. I click on mstsc.exe file but it does no start. It only starts the process (I can see it on task manager) but it does not show me any GUI to connect. The mstsc.exe in task manager goes crazy always. It can not be stopped unless I log-off or reboot.  It keeps showing me busy mouse cursor until it is terminated. It keeps showing another process of same name on task manager but the other process appears for a second and disappears for another and keeps doing this. The main process is still appearing. Both processes can not be stopped.
    when I try to kill the process it shows me error message that the operation is not valid for this process.

Anybody can help me on this? I don't have any other ultimate machine to copy files to my machine or I would have tried.

Can mstsc file be fixed by anyway to work normally as before? 

• Edited by Andalus Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:34 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:26 AM

Answers

• "Andalus" wrote in message news:476e692c-17dd-4480-b040-0fe7dabf2022...

Hello,

I am using windows 7 ultimate with SP1 (it was upgraded from home premium via windows anytime upgrade).

Remote desktop was working fine before except with the problem that when I make remote session at full screen then minimize I can not set it to full screen back again.

I found that there is a shortcut keys to put it back to full screen (Ctrl+Alt+Break) and it works. But I wanted to make it as normal as other windows machines in which you can put a remote session on full screen back and forth by one click.

What I have done is that I copied  mstsc.exe file (and also mstscax.dll) form system32 folder in a working machine (it was windows 7 professional SP1) to system32 in my current machine. I replaced the existing files. Since I have done this RDP did not start at all. I click on mstsc.exe file but it does no start. It only starts the process (I can see it on task manager) but it does not show me any GUI to connect. The mstsc.exe in task manager goes crazy always. It can not be stopped unless I log-off or reboot.  It keeps showing me busy mouse cursor until it is terminated. It keeps showing another process of same name on task manager but the other process appears for a second and disappears for another and keeps doing this. The main process is still appearing. Both processes can not be stopped.
    when I try to kill the process it shows me error message that the operation is not valid for this process.

Anybody can help me on this? I don't have any other ultimate machine to copy files to my machine or I would have tried.

You may have a version or bitness mismatch – I suggest that you run SFC /SCANNOW to correct it

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Andalus Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:58 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:00 AM

All replies

Hello,

What I have done is that I copied  mstsc.exe file (and also mstscax.dll) form system32 folder in a working machine (it was windows 7 professional SP1) to system32 in my current machine. I replaced the existing files. Since I have done this RDP did not start at all. I click on mstsc.exe file but it does no start. It only starts the process (I can see it on task manager) but it does not show me any GUI to connect. The mstsc.exe in task manager goes crazy always. It can not be stopped unless I log-off or reboot.  It keeps showing me busy mouse cursor until it is terminated. It keeps showing another process of same name on task manager but the other process appears for a second and disappears for another and keeps doing this. The main process is still appearing. Both processes can not be stopped.

You may have a version or bitness mismatch – I suggest that you run SFC /SCANNOW to correct it

• Marked as answer by Andalus Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:58 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:00 AM
  • If SFC does not work, try In-place Upgrade to repair the system.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:39 AM

Hello,

Yup. it is working now after the sfc scan.

Many many thanks for your advice. :)

Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:57 AM
  • "Andalus" wrote in message news:15fcf5cf-80bc-45dd-a603-c7147f28c348...
    Yup. it is working now after the sfc scan.

Many many thanks for your advice. :)

Glad to hear it – good luck

Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:19 AM
  • This worked for me.  It magically popped up at 70% complete.  Thanks for the info!!!
    Ron 
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 4:59 AM