How do I get classic view for Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• We never liked how Vista looked and stuck with XP but recently decided to try Windows 7.  Unfortunately, aftre a week we're still not comfortable with the new look of the OS and simply prefer the classic view.  How do we get classic view for Windows 7?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:24 PM

Answers

• Right-click an empty space on the desktop and select Personalize.  At the bottom of the panel are a few non-aero schemes, one of which is called classic.  It's PRETTY close to what you're used to, but you do lose a few aero features (FWIW I DO like the aero-peek when hovering over a pinned program).  You can also pick an aero theme and turn off the transparency.  Personally, I find the transparency a total waste, and confusing when you have several windows open, so this is what I did.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 3:04 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:32 PM

All replies

• Right-click an empty space on the desktop and select Personalize.  At the bottom of the panel are a few non-aero schemes, one of which is called classic.  It's PRETTY close to what you're used to, but you do lose a few aero features (FWIW I DO like the aero-peek when hovering over a pinned program).  You can also pick an aero theme and turn off the transparency.  Personally, I find the transparency a total waste, and confusing when you have several windows open, so this is what I did.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 3:04 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:32 PM
  • I'd recommend turning off transparency, but still keep an Aero theme.  Why, you ask?  I'm glad you asked.

When you have a computer with good graphics capabilities, Aero helps your system run faster (all programs are cached into the video card, so when you move a window, the OS doesn't have to ask applications underneath to "please redraw everything again", which eats up your processor cycles.  Plus, Classic mode uses an older technology known as GDI for drawing all the windows on the screen, which is old (from 1989) and frequently causes applications to crash, hang, or Blue Screen.

In addition to the performance boost, Aero gives you all the great features such as previews from the taskbar.

Basically, try to give it a chance.  I bet you won't be disappointed.

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:53 PM
  • Yes, give it a try maybe you will love it when you get used to it. J

However, if you insist using the classic theme, you can use "Windows 7 Basic" and "Windows Classic" themes under Basic and High Contrast Themes and see if they meets your needs.

Also, you can install third party theme from the internet which can simulate the original Windows XP theme as a workaround.

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:51 AM
  • And maybe we need to acutally be productive, rather then keep having to figure out where things were rearranged every year.
    Monday, April 9, 2012 3:42 PM
  • "insist"?  Perhaps I am letting my frustration get the better of me, but this is typical of the new breed of arrogance coming from Microsoft. I've no doubt about the skills and ability of Microsoft developers but... you really do not know better what I need. 
    Friday, January 18, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Unfortunately this is the mindset of the New Government generation of programers. Like the Progressives both at home and globally, they know what is best for the rest of the world. Is Linux as intellectually free as its first concept, or has it become as corrupt as MS and Apple?
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Linux has only a pitiful 1.28% share of the desktop operating systems.  What does that tell you?

Carey Frisch

Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:55 AM
  • My major frustration with the windows 7, & later OS, desktop interface design is loss of the full path being displayed in each windows explorer window.

Keeping track of the file locations one is working with is routinely crucial for use the OS with greater savvy and less problems with OS corruption and data loss over time.

I learned, in the early 1990s, the never mix OS+Program files with any other data on the same drive partition (or drive itself) because (a) when maintaining images of the OS, one always wants to restore the older version without bugs which have become included over time but (b) when restoring data, one nearly always wants the latest version and (c) all the major partition backup image creation programs work best is restoring the entire partition (OS & programs)

Saturday, November 19, 2016 5:26 PM
  • My major frustration with the windows 7, & later OS, desktop interface design is loss of the full path being displayed in each windows explorer window.

Keeping track of the file locations one is working with is routinely crucial for use the OS with greater savvy and less problems with OS corruption and data loss over time.

I learned, in the early 1990s, the never mix OS+Program files with any other data on the same drive partition (or drive itself) because (a) when maintaining images of the OS, one always wants to restore the older version without bugs which have become included over time but (b) when restoring data, one nearly always wants the latest version and (c) all the major partition backup image creation programs work best is restoring the entire partition (OS & programs)

Saturday, November 19, 2016 5:27 PM

The full path is still displayed in the address bar of any File Explorer window. If you also want it displayed in the title bar, go into Folder Options, View tab, and turn on "Display the full path in the title bar".

Sunday, May 21, 2017 8:16 PM
  • Thanks. I had my desktop all sorted, but I think I caught a virus and I lost the entire desktop.ini file and apart from losing all my login files, shortcuts and 90% of desktop icons, I also lost my configuration files for the look and feel of classic windows instead of the touchy-feelie-dumbed-down-apple-look of Win7 and later versions. When you haven't done fine-tuning for 5 years, I lost my way a bit and your post helped. So, thanks for posting.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:37 PM