none
Domain Client Printing Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Issues.

Symptoms and Scenarios that we have tested.

Domain Client -> Primary Domain Print Server -> Printer – Not ok, Jobs stuck between Domain Client print spooler.

Domain Client -> Secondary Domain Print Server -> Printer – Not ok, Jobs stuck between Domain Client print spooler.

Domain Client -> Workgroup - VM (2012R2 Testing) -> Printer – Ok

Domain Client -> Printer – Ok

Domain Print Server -> Printer - Ok

Workgroup Client -> Domain Print Server -> Print – Ok

Created a testing VM Windows 7 joined xxxx.com domain, tested mapped to domain print que and printed ok, but after restart pc or log in and log out, unable to print out. My Guess is it possible during that time the domain policy not yet push down the operating system. After policy is pushed on the operating system it will not be able to print.

Network is not blocked by firewall as all ports is allow, and the basic troubleshooting restart printspooler, restart server, remap que, reinstall drivers&packages all done, in windows/system32/drivers also given everybody written permissions.

Is there any policy that will cause this issues anyone can help?

Monday, March 21, 2016 12:41 PM

Answers

• 1726 typically means the client spooler cannot contact the server spooler.

This will be some networking or firewall policy.  I do not know of any printer policy that will cause this failure.

This event log nails the error

C:\>winerror 1726
      1726 RPC_S_CALL_FAILED <--> 0xc002001b RPC_NT_CALL_FAILED

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Alan,

after weeks, finally resolve but really not sure why it happens on some of my users. manage use this registry key and resolved it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/win7/archive/2011/01/11/windows-7-clients-may-not-be-able-to-print-to-windows-server-2003-print-server.aspx

CAUSE

This problem occurs because Windows 7 tries to communicate with the print server by using the Asynchronous RPC protocol. However, this protocol is supported only by Windows Server 2008 and later versions. This protocol is not supported by Windows Server 2003.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, create an EnabledProtocols DWORD value on the client computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1.  In Registry Editor, locate the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\ 

2.  Right-click Printers , point to New , and then click DWORD . 
    3.  Type EnabledProtocols . 
    4.  Rigkt-click EnabledProtocols . 
    5.  In the Value data box, type 6 . 
    6.  Close Registry Editor.
    • Marked as answer by xbinbinx Friday, April 1, 2016 7:06 AM
    • Edited by xbinbinx Friday, April 1, 2016 7:07 AM add in registry commands.
    Friday, April 1, 2016 7:06 AM

All replies

• Please explain "jobs stuck" statements

Is the print server appearing as "offline" on the client machine?  This is either a bug in spooler , MS should have a patch for whatever client OS you are running but not listing, or this is a security issue where the print server cannot authenticate back to the client machines once they are domain joined.

The print spooler service communicate between client spooler and server spooler using async RPC calls.  Make sure none of the policies are blocking async RPC.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:54 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi xbinbinx,

>My Guess is it possible during that time the domain policy not yet push down the operating system. After policy is pushed on the operating system it will not be able to print.

You may run gpresult /h C:\report.html to check what GPO policy is applied on the client, and check the detailed GPO information on DC.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Please explain "jobs stuck" statements

Is the print server appearing as "offline" on the client machine?  This is either a bug in spooler , MS should have a patch for whatever client OS you are running but not listing, or this is a security issue where the print server cannot authenticate back to the client machines once they are domain joined.

The print spooler service communicate between client spooler and server spooler using async RPC calls.  Make sure none of the policies are blocking async RPC.

Hi Alan,

The print server or the client side didn't appear offline at all. That's strange, but i got this eventlog from the client pc, does it give any idea?

If is async RPC, which policies should i look into, can advice. 

Btw the server belongs to my client, i am troubleshooting it.

Here's the eventlog on printservice on client PC - windows 7.

The document Test Page, owned by Engineer, failed to print on printer {DAC717E4-EC23-420A-A22B-29F813EE78D4}. Try to print the document again, or restart the print spooler. 
    Data type: RAW. Size of the spool file in bytes: 100259. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client computer: \\W7-TESTING. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 1726. The remote procedure call failed.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:50 AM
  • Hi xbinbinx,

>My Guess is it possible during that time the domain policy not yet push down the operating system. After policy is pushed on the operating system it will not be able to print.

You may run gpresult /h C:\report.html to check what GPO policy is applied on the client, and check the detailed GPO information on DC.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Anne,

yes i believe so, the domain policy not yet pushed down totally, but when it total propagated, it blocked printing. which policy can i look into. I generated the report basically the firewall rules for all is off and not configured.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Hi xbinbinx,

>which policy can i look into. I generated the report basically the firewall rules for all is off and not configured.

After running the cmd, we may get report.html file on C:\, open the file and check the content.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Hi xbinbinx,

>which policy can i look into. I generated the report basically the firewall rules for all is off and not configured.

After running the cmd, we may get report.html file on C:\, open the file and check the content.

Best Regards,

Anne

Anne,

yup i generated the report. But which section should i look into and troubleshoot for my case. 

* my case the print server is a 2012 R2 OS.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 9:36 AM
  • Hi xbinbinx,

In Computer Configuration Summary > Group Policy Objects > Applied GPOs, we may see the GPOs that have been applied, we may consult the domain administrator to check what is the usage of each GPO, check if there is a GPO related with printer.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:08 AM
  • Hi xbinbinx,

In Computer Configuration Summary > Group Policy Objects > Applied GPOs, we may see the GPOs that have been applied, we may consult the domain administrator to check what is the usage of each GPO, check if there is a GPO related with printer.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Thanks anne, already asking the security team to check on this policy, will get back if it is resolved.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:14 AM

This will be some networking or firewall policy.  I do not know of any printer policy that will cause this failure.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 5:54 AM
    Answerer

Alan,

after weeks, finally resolve but really not sure why it happens on some of my users. manage use this registry key and resolved it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/win7/archive/2011/01/11/windows-7-clients-may-not-be-able-to-print-to-windows-server-2003-print-server.aspx

CAUSE

This problem occurs because Windows 7 tries to communicate with the print server by using the Asynchronous RPC protocol. However, this protocol is supported only by Windows Server 2008 and later versions. This protocol is not supported by Windows Server 2003.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, create an EnabledProtocols DWORD value on the client computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1.  In Registry Editor, locate the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\ 

2.  Right-click Printers , point to New , and then click DWORD . 
    3.  Type EnabledProtocols . 
    4.  Rigkt-click EnabledProtocols . 
    5.  In the Value data box, type 6 . 
    6.  Close Registry Editor.
    • Marked as answer by xbinbinx Friday, April 1, 2016 7:06 AM
    • Edited by xbinbinx Friday, April 1, 2016 7:07 AM add in registry commands.
    Friday, April 1, 2016 7:06 AM