merged phone field displays 12:00:00 AM RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Microsoft Word & Excel 2010. I have created a Word document to merge with an Excel spreadsheet. There are 3 phone number fields: phone number, fax number and cell phone. The phone number and vax number fields display correctly, but the cell phone number field displays 12:00:00 AM. All 3 phone number fields are identical. Any ideas??
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 6:37 PM

Answers

• Typically it's what's in the first 8 rows (after the headings) that determines the data type for the column. So if you have 3 columns with roughly similar mixes of data, they can be treated differently if, e.g. ,on e of them has nothing but numbers 9phone numbers in the first 8 rows, but the others have mixed text and numbers in the first 8 rows.

Peter Jamieson

• Marked as answer by Kalice Friday, June 7, 2013 4:11 PM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 3:25 PM

All replies

• Check the format on the field... it's obviously set to time.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:05 PM
  • I did, it's not. Neither in the spreadsheet or in the document. 
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:16 PM
  • How are the data formatted in Excel, and what are the underlying numeric values? Do you have anything other than phone numbers in the same column?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, June 6, 2013 4:13 AM
  • Probably mixed data types in your cell phone column in Excel - http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm has further info.

Peter Jamieson

Thursday, June 6, 2013 6:47 AM
  • The field is formatted as General since sometimes I include notes. Perhaps I should format it as text, so perhaps I'll try that. Just assumed General was sufficient.
    Friday, June 7, 2013 2:02 PM
  • It is not the column formatting that is the issue. Your problem is most likely the notes. That means you certainly have mixed data types in the column. You should only have one data type. If you need to make notes, use the comment feature and leave the data alone - with just a single data type in a single format.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:06 PM
  • What's most confusing is that the Cell Phone field is formatted just as the Phone Number field and the Fax Number field, and those two fields display correctly. The Phone Number field also contains mixed data, but, as I said, it displays correctly. I checked the fields in the Word merge document and they're also formatted the same. 

Unfortunately, I'm a day behind and can't spend any more time trying to figure it out. I'll keep working on it. Thank you all for your suggestions. 

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Typically it's what's in the first 8 rows (after the headings) that determines the data type for the column. So if you have 3 columns with roughly similar mixes of data, they can be treated differently if, e.g. ,on e of them has nothing but numbers 9phone numbers in the first 8 rows, but the others have mixed text and numbers in the first 8 rows.

Peter Jamieson

• Marked as answer by Kalice Friday, June 7, 2013 4:11 PM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Thank you, that was the problem. I had only recently added the Cell Phone column but began adding data only to the most recent rows. Once I went back to the beginning and added the data there, it began displaying correctly. Thank you so much for your help!
    Friday, June 7, 2013 4:15 PM