Defrag / Security Essentials will not run / Repair from CD NOT! RRS feed

• Question

• With Task Manger / Processes open, Defrag shows up but the application never starts.  Security Essentials opens will get update; scan stops at the third file and the elapsed time never advances beyond all 0's.  To get chkdsk to run I had to schedule it in safe mode. 

My attempt to run a repair from the install disk was interesting.  The system seemed to load to the point where I had the Win 7 background and a functional mouse but nothing to click on. 

I'm using the machine with the problem to make this post, so you can see most of it sorta works.  There are other quirks to in Windows Explorer dealing with creation of file folders.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 1:37 AM

All replies

• Check event viewer to see event logs. To do a repair, download an iso of your Windows version and extract it to your hard disk. From your hard disk, run the setup and select upgrade option. Enter the product key of your existing OS and move forward. Most of the time it fixes issues related to Windows.

MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration; Apple Certified Associate, Mac Integration 10.8

Saturday, November 3, 2012 5:46 AM