Front End Servers no longer replicate CMS after being moved form Lync Server 2013 to Skype for Business 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Front End Servers no longer replicating CMS after being moved form Lync Server 2013 to Skype for Business 2015

Hello Technet,

I hope someone out there might have some idea’s here. So my issue is I just moved my CMS from my old Lync Server 2013 deployment over to a new Skype for Business Server 2015 deployment that has been fully patched up to May 2017. I followed the steps as outlined on https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/uctalks/2016/05/09/moving-the-cms-make-it-part-of-your-upgrade-action-plan-part-1/ to migrate. Everything appeared run correctly and I didn’t get any unexpected error’s or anything else.

But once I ran Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus to check on the status of the replication that’s when I noticed a problem. Which was initially the command didn’t even do anything which prior to the move it had been. Checking online I found out that AD group RTCUniversalConfigReplicator needs to be setup as a sysadmin on the new SQL servers which is was not initially and that once I did the command started to work again. Howevor now running the command I saw two of my front end servers are no longer replicating the CMS at all. Now the steps says to re-run the Skype for Business 2015 deployment Wizard which I had done to install the Master Replica and File Transfer Agent Service which I then started.

Now I saw some foot note’s online about needing to reboot the front end servers after everything completed to ensure replication was working. I did that too but the replication status of the two front ends still reads as “false”. About all I have to go on is the below screen capture from event viewer. But when you research this online the majority of the articles refer to the Edge server and not the front end servers. Which currently the edge servers along with the one front end server I ran all of the commands on are still working. It’s only the other two front end servers that make up my front end pool that I can’t seem to get working at all.

I have attempted to open a support ticket with Microsoft already but that had been less then helpful. As paid support is getting hung up on certificates and saying that my OAuth cert is not support and is the cause of the problem. Which I feel is totally wrong since the CMS was working prior to the migration from Lync Server 2013 to Skype for Business 2015.

If anyone out there has any idea’s I am all ears as at this point I don’t any idea how to resolve this. Beyond blowing these two servers totally away and rebuilding them in hopes it “may” fix the problem.

Nicholas

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Nicholas Sayewich,

For this issue, firstly, please run the command “Invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication” to force CMS replicate, then test again.

If the issue persists, please try to go to SFB FE server, default path : C:\RtcReplicaRoot\xds-replica, choose properity, change the permission of “network service” to full control and then test again

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 3:05 AM
  • I'm agree with alice and also add to restart Master replication service on FE that hold the CMS and replication agent service for SFB FE.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Nicholas Sayewich,

For this issue, firstly, please run the command “Invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication” to force CMS replicate, then test again.

If the issue persists, please try to go to SFB FE server, default path : C:\RtcReplicaRoot\xds-replica, choose properity, change the permission of “network service” to full control and then test again

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 3:05 AM
  • I'm agree with alice and also add to restart Master replication service on FE that hold the CMS and replication agent service for SFB FE.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:55 AM
  • Thank you so much for the replies. In the end both suggestions provided part of the solution. First I took Hamed's suggestion and restarted the Master replication service on the front end server I had run the CMS move commands on initially which was the one that replication was still working on. Then I ran Invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication again as suggested by Alice. Once I checked the status of replication all of the servers were now working again. I will point out that “network service” already had full control on the "C:\RtcReplicaRoot\xds-replica" folder.

Hopefully anyone else out there who runs across this problem will now be able to resolve it quicker then it took me to solve.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 3:13 PM