Cluster disks used for Cluster Shared volumes not discovered RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have the following setup :
    - SCOM 2016 UR7 deployed on 2 management servers
    - Management pack “Microsoft System Center Management Pack for Windows Server Cluster 2016 and 1709 Plus” deployed
    - Clusters based on Windows Server 2016 hosting Cluster Shared Volumes.

My issue is the following one :
    - It seems that, disks used for shared volume can not be discovered as “Cluster Disk” objects, because there is no letter like "D:" assigned to them
    - Example, here are the disks hosted on a cluster node :

They appear in the list of “Cluster Shared Volumes” :

-          But they don’t appear in sCOM as cluster disks.

• The only disk for this cluster that appears is a quorum disk

Because of that, we don’t have access to any “performance” indicators that are available for Cluster Disk objects, like Disk queue length, Reads per second, etc...

It seems that this issue could be solved by following Management Pack : https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Cluster-Shared-Volumes-ffa61ff1 that provides performance indicators for Cluster Shared Volumes. But this doesn’t work in our case, I think maybe because it has been designed for  Windows server 2012 and that we use Windows Server 2016.

Can somebody help me on this topic ?

Thank you a lot

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the update. I notice you will go for custom monitors. If htere's any update, feel free to let us know.

Best regards.
    Crystal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 4, 2020 2:14 AM

All replies

• I believe you need to enable the Mount Point discovery rule

This Discovery Rule discovers and populates the Windows Server Class named “Windows Server 2016 and 1709+ Logical Disk" with instances of Mount Points that are discovered on Windows Server 2016 and 1709+ operating systems.

• Edited by CyrAz Tuesday, April 14, 2020 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2020 3:58 PM
  • Hi Ivan,

It can be the MPs are missing support for cluster disks which are mapped to a volume mount point, meaning cluster disks “without a drive letter”. Maybe we can try the following MP to see if it is working:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/SCOM-Management-Pack-for-0afa5515

Hope it can help.

Best regards.
    Crystal

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 1:39 AM
  • Hi Ivan,

How's everything going? Is there any update on our issue? If yes, feel free to let us know.

Best regards.

Crystal

Monday, April 20, 2020 8:00 AM
  • Hello, any of the solution has worked for me.

SCOM management pack doesn't work in our case.

I will go for custom monitors based on WMI or Perfmon 

Thursday, April 30, 2020 11:34 AM
  • Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the update. I notice you will go for custom monitors. If htere's any update, feel free to let us know.

Best regards.
    Crystal

Monday, May 4, 2020 2:14 AM