SP2 & NETWORK ADAPTER PROBLEMS RRS feed

• Question

• I can not upload SP2 with out getting an error message, I have had to restore my pc twice. Furthermore network adapter seized functioning, the message i get is 'This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)' which i assume is due to SP2 not being installed.  Kindly assist.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

I noticed that there are two separated issues based on the information you provided in this thread:

1.    Updating to Windows Vista SP2 failed.

2.    The network adapter cannot work and the error message “This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)” appears.

Please understand that in order to avoid possible confusion and make our discussion clear, it is highly recommended that we work on one issue in each thread.

At this time, let’s focus on the network adapter issue first:

1.    Regarding the error message, please refer to the following document:

Code 31: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725584(WS.10).aspx

2.    Please remove the network adapter driver, reboot the computer and reinstall it.

1)     Click Start, right click on Computer and choose Properties.

2)     Click Device Manager.

3)     Navigate to the network adapter.

4)     Right click on it and choose “Uninstall”. If there is a check box “Delete the driver software for the device.”, please also check it and then click OK.

5)     Please also go to “Control Panel – Program and Features” to check if there is entry for the network adapter driver. If so, please also remove it.

6)     Reboot the computer and reinstall the driver.

3.    If there is a new version of the network adapter driver released, please also try it. (If you want, please also let us know the exact brand and model of your network adapter, we will help you find the driver.)

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:46 AM