Policy Tips in Exchange Online / Exchange 2016 - Apply to All External Senders? RRS feed

• Question

• Like a number of other organizations, we are considering putting in place some kind of notification branding externally sourced messages, i.e. "This message was received from outside our company. Please exercise caution."

Policy tips would be preferable to stamping a text disclaimer on the message, as this would keep the text out of the message body and out of e-mail threads to and from our clients. However, it seems as if policy tips in Exchange Online or Exchange 2016 On-Prem are constrained for use with DLP only:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/security-and-compliance/data-loss-prevention/manage-policy-tips

"In Apply this rule if, select, The message contains sensitive information. This condition is required."

Has anyone come up with a workaround for this DLP or "sensitive information" requirement? We want it to apply to all externally sourced messages regardless of the content. I saw there are ways to create a custom sensitive information type, but it's not clear to me whether you can create a sensitive information type that applies to all messages.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 3:37 PM

All replies

• As mentioned in the documentation, policy tips only apply to DLP scenarios, which also means *outbound* messages. They are not applicable to your scenario, use a disclaimer or modify the message subject instead.
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Gao Friday, July 20, 2018 8:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:23 PM
  • Any update now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Gavin Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7:52 AM