none
Windows Explorer Does Not Refresh Automatically (Needs F5) AND Takes A Long Long Time To Make New File RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 7, it will go into this state where it won't update folders automatically, and I have to hit F5, as well, if I go for example, New->Text Document - it will hang the desktop and take like 3-4 minutes before coming back and showing the file.

It is like something is preventing or slowing down the refresh of windows explorer.

It happens about once a day, sometimes I reboot to see if I can get it to go away.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:46 PM

Answers

• I've narrowed down more the possible causes of the issue:
    If You disable the Client for Microsoft Networks in properties of Local Area Connection - the issue disappear (maybe only in my case).
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:54 AM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:00 PM
  • The LAN driver update did not help. But it's interesting if I disable the network adapter in Device Manager the issue does not occur.
    Have You got any idea?
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:01 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:22 PM

All replies

• Check your event viewer. Locate the applications and system category.
    Seasons greetings!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Event viewer.
    Seasons greetings!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Hi,

This kind of issue can be caused by several reasons, such as third party program, out-dated drivers.

To troubleshoot this issue, please perform the following steps:

1. Update BIOS and device drivers to the latest version.

2. If any security program is installed (anti-virus, firewall), please temporarily disable it

3. Test it in Clean Boot mode.

4. Reset Folder option:

Reset folders

==========

1. Click the Start button, type Folder Options in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Click View tab.

3. Click Reset folders.

4. Click Apply, click OK.

5. If it does not work, try a new account:

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type User Accounts in the start search pane and press Enter.

2. Click Manage user accounts. 

3. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

4. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

5. Click Create Account.

6. Log off and log on with the new account.

6. Use the following tool to remove third party extension:

ShellExView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Hope it helps!

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Petecomp1 Monday, January 4, 2010 5:28 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 6:58 AM
  • Sorry, it is a known issue. You can not solve it. Check this thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/8afb8b65-900c-4f42-b1df-3c2394417b6e
    Friday, November 27, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Nucleo - I agree with Vivian that incompatible third party programs or drivers can be responsible. Hardware could also cause the delayed refresh. Please examine your installed programs and try to remember if this behavior was always present or started to happen at some point in time a few days or weeks after you installed windows.
    Seasons greetings!
    Friday, November 27, 2009 1:48 PM
  • Defcon,

Check these threads please:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/8afb8b65-900c-4f42-b1df-3c2394417b6e
    (Linda Yan MSFT admitted it is an ISSUE of Windows 7)

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/9d1ede23-2666-4951-b3b9-b6c1ce3d1ebf
    (Gokul T MS Support said it seems to be a known issue)

You could check this one also:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/3103

I'm very disappointed in MS does not solve this glitch. This issue is very frustrating and annoying! I can't imagine how it slipped through the beta phase...

Anyway, I've tried the followings:
    - deleted IconCache - did not help
    - reset folder views - did not help
    - turned off file sharing and network discovery - did not help
    - made a clean boot (disabled all non MS services and startup items in msconfig) - did not help
    - ran sfc - did not found any violations
    - created new user account - did not help
    - updated the BIOS to the latest version - did not help
    - updated the VGA driver to the latest version - did not help
    - turned off file indexing - did not help
    - ran Windows 7 in Safe Mode (without Networking): it seems the issue does not occur (hard to say never occurs, long time test needed - but in Safe Mode it's a bit backward).
    • Edited by Nucleo Monday, November 30, 2009 2:32 PM disabled startup items also
    Friday, November 27, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Hi All,

I would like to confirm if the issue occurs when you copy/drag files to navigation pane or in the Windows Explorer window.
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:36 AM
  • Nucleo - when you did the clean boot did you also disable startup items?
    Seasons greetings!
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:15 AM
  • DEFCON:
    Yes I did. All of non MS services and StartUp items were disabled.
    The issue does not occur in Safe Mode only.
    The issue occurs in Safe Mode with Networking.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Hi Vivian,

The issue occurs in both of them; in navigation pane and Windows Explorer window also.
    Please check this thread (detailed description in opening post):
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:04 PM
  • I'll try one more thing. Because it seems the issue does not occur in Safe Mode without networking, I'm going to update the driver of the network card.
    I don't believe in success, but never knows... I'll post the result.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:25 AM
  • The LAN driver update did not help. But it's interesting if I disable the network adapter in Device Manager the issue does not occur.
    Have You got any idea?
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:01 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

it seems that the network driver is the problem.

To further troubleshooting, how about reinstalling the network driver?

Reinstall driver

==============

1. Click the Start Button, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Double click to expand "Network adaptors".

3. Right click your network card and click Uninstall.

4. Check "Delete driver software for this device" check box, click OK.

5. Restart the computer

In addition, I would like to know if anybody else resolved this issue by disabling network card.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Because it seems the issue does not occur in Safe Mode without networking ...
    For me, the issue occurs even with a Minimal Safe Boot (networking disabled). I mentioned this in my Sept. 28 post in the other thread .
    It's interesting if I disable the network adapter in Device Manager the issue does not occur.
    This did not work for me.

Nucleo, in the above scenarios where you report that the issue has not occured, can you try to trigger the problem using my steps to reproduce? These steps, given in my Oct. 1 post in the other thread, always trigger the problem on my machine, except maybe the first time I run the steps after a reboot. (The fastest way to set up the test may be to use empty text files - just copy and paste until you have 50.)
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:01 AM
  • Joeboxer:
    I think we have different issues. You described a problem with moving files using navigation pane in your other thread. That's the truth I can by-pass your issue easily - simply I don't use the navigation pane for file operations. Anyway it IS an issue as you described.
    My main problem is when I create a file, folder / rename them etc. they (or the changes) do not appear immediately but only 30-40 secs later. If I disable the network adapter or boot in Safe Mode without networking the issue completely disappear. These delays have appeared first time when I've shared some folders on my system.
    It seems these 2 issues are not the same, or maybe they don't have common reasons.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Joeboxer:
    I think we have different issues. ... My main problem is when I create a file, folder / rename them etc. they (or the changes) do not appear immediately but only 30-40 secs later.
    Ah, you're talking about a delayed refresh rather than no refresh at all, or an incorrect refresh. Yes, that would seem to be a different problem, as you say.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:26 PM
  • To further troubleshooting, how about reinstalling the network driver?
    Hi Vivian,

I've updated the network driver, as I wrote in one of my previous post (You marked it as an answer) - but it did not help.
    I've done it a different way as You mentioned. Downloaded the driver as an .exe file, and ran it. I've checked the driver version and release date in device manager after installation - the properties show the new driver.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:54 PM
  • What's the model of your net card?

Seasons greetings!
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Defcon:
    Hm, it's a very good qestion! It's a Realtek integrated Ethernet controller, but...
    When I saw your question, I said "Of course I know my PC's controller type...". I've got an ASUS M4A785TD-M motherboard. Just to be sure, I've opened ASUS webpage to check my Ethernet controller type, and it was a surprise to me: it's RTL8112L. Windows 7 identified my controller as RTL8111C, and I've downloaded and upgraded the driver for this model.
    I've ran a search for RTL8112L on the Realtek website, without result.
    However countless websites shows the same driver is needed for 8111C/B/8112L models.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 1:19 AM
  • Here's what I found for your model motherboard at ASUS. If it is the same "M4A785TD-M EVO" board you describe the ASUS driver details page claims it to be "RTL8111C LAN". If so the link for your NIC is posted here:

Realtek RTL8111C LAN Driver V7.3.522.2009 for Windows Win7 32bit/64bit

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QHbvGVB1mXmmD8qQ&content=download

Seasons greetings!
    Friday, December 4, 2009 5:47 AM
  • Defcon:
    Thank You very much for your research. It's a quite outdated driver at ASUS (2009. 07. 20.), so I've installed a much more fresh one from Realtek (2009. 11. 20.). The issue is the same with both of them.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Hi all,

I have the same problem; however, I have two pcs and this only seems to occur on my laptop, and only when running on battery power with all the network cards disabled. I thought this might be some sort of power management ploy to reduce consumption - an annoying one at that. It also seems to take absolutely ages to empty the recycling bin when this starts to happen.

Antony

Saturday, December 5, 2009 11:11 AM
  • Finally I've reinstalled the whole system (clean install Win7 + all of the other softwares).
    I DO NOT USE FILE SHARING and all of the options correlate with it are turned off (I left network type Public as default during install, file sharing and network discovery turned off, don't share any folder of course).
    The issue did not occur yet. I'm testing now, later I'll post a long-term result.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 11:36 PM
  • The issue occurs again after the clean, 2 days old installation. File Sharing turned off. I've got no ideas. I have to return to my previous perceptions. If I disable the network adapter, the issue does not occur. Could You tell me all of You, what kind of network adapter have you got?
    Monday, December 7, 2009 11:35 PM
  • According to Asus your model is "RTL8111C LAN". Please try to update the driver with the link from my above post and tell me if it works.  
    Seasons greetings!
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Defcon:
    I have to say "naturally" it did not help. I've installed the driver from the above link You sent me.
    Anyway it was a typical downgrade from a driver 7.9.1105.2009 (2009.11.05.) to 7.3.522.2009 (2009.05.22.).
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:57 PM
  • I've narrowed down more the possible causes of the issue:
    If You disable the Client for Microsoft Networks in properties of Local Area Connection - the issue disappear (maybe only in my case).
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:54 AM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:00 PM
  • I have this problem consistently and solely when I navigate starting from the left-pane Favorites area of Explorer. I single-click on one of my Favorites and then double-click repeatedly in the right pane to open the folder of interest. When I right-click to create a new text file, the file will appear in the folder only if I press F5.

I can navigate to the same folder starting from any of the other left-pane options (Marc Rouleau, Computer, Network), and Explorer refreshes the right pane normally when I create the new text file.

The obvious difference between the Favorites and other left-pane areas is the inability to traverse the folder hierarchy in the left pane from the individual Favorites. The little right-facing triangles don't appear next to the Favorites when you mouse into the left pane.

So for me the workaround is to refrain from using Explorer's Favorites. I don't like that much because it is a very helpful feature.
    • Proposed as answer by Mice20 Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:12 PM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Run a disk check on your drive. 

1. Select 'Start'. Click 'Computer'. 
    2. Right-Click 'Local Disk (C:)'. Select 'Properties'.
    3. 'Tools' Tab. Error-checking 'Check now'.
    4. Check both 'Automatically fix file system errors' & 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.'
    5. The disk check will begin after you reboot your computer.
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:11 AM
  • Hey guys, I don't ever put posts up here but I think I found a fix for this.  I too am running Win7 x64 and randomly had the folders stop refreshing.  It happened after I set up my homegroup on my desktop (it used to be my laptop) and then resynced my XBOX and launched windows media center for the first time.  It looks like, if I go into the advanced media sharing options and I turn off media streaming, the problem goes away. 

I don't know anything else at the moment but hopefully someone else can leach on and figure that out.

Friday, April 23, 2010 1:42 AM
  • I have Windows 7 Media Center installed but do not (and have never had) media streaming enabled. I have been seeing the refresh problem for months now. I don't think the problem is limited to the situation you describe.

It is driving me nuts.

Monday, April 26, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Hi,

I was having the same problem upon installing the new Adobe CS5 on W7 Ultimate 64-bit. The CS5 instalation also installed one "Akami Net Session Interface". I'm not exactly sure why it is used, but when I removed it everything went back to normal. I had 20 painful days until a had figured this one out though.

I hope this input helps somebody.

G.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Interesting about the Akami software; unfortunately it's not installed on my machine, so the explanation of this problem must be broader.

When you do have the Akami software, there's supposed to be uninstallation functionality in...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Akamai\AdminTool.exe

Thanks,

Glenn

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:40 PM
  • So...this problem could be the most annoying problem I've ever dealt with with an OS before.  After basically pulling my hair out and trying everything all of today, I decided to restore back to two days ago (8/1/2010), before a MS security patch was installed.  Everything works normal again.  I know correlation != causation, but there's something suspicious here.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:15 AM
  • Thanks, Vivian.

This solved the problem for me:

1. uninstall and delete drivers for Intel AGN wireless (this was recommended by Lenovo System Update)

2. Restart (after this, I come back to the default Windows wireless drivers)

Monday, September 20, 2010 3:53 AM
  • This problem never went away for me. One system where I have seen it was a Lenovo T510, but another was a MacBook Pro booted up to Windows. It still drives me nuts. Make a new folder and rename it, and you see "New folder" until you hit F5. Aggravating!
    Monday, September 3, 2012 5:10 AM
  • I find it amazing that this annoying problem hasn't been resolved yet.
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:53 AM
  • Thank you very much! Thank worked great.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:27 PM
  • I found deleting desktop.ini works.

These are hidden files so you will need to go to folder options and show hidden and system files.  I deleted the one on the desktop itself and it fixed the issue instantly!Hope that helps.

• Proposed as answer by James Rytter Monday, February 11, 2013 5:24 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Not sure if this will help you but I right-clicked on Network (in the left pane of Windows Explorer) > Properties > Home Network > Home Network > "View or change HomeGroup settings" and unchecked "Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents".  I left "Printers" checked.  This fixed the problem in my case (Windows 7, 64-bit).

Oops.  I declared victory too soon.  The problem came back.  Sorry.

• Edited by Roc2013 Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:06 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Sounds like you are guessing, and directing this poor bloke to essentially re-set everything (and therefore lose everything), and hopefully/maybe (cross your fingers) the problem will go away.  Perhaps as an alternative, you could suggest that you have no idea what would cause this problem.  Because, in fact you don't, do you.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:07 PM
  • Probably a hard drive problem. I would run a disk check to see if there are any errors. If it lets you fix the errors, fix them. If you cannot get it to work that way, see if the problem occurs in Safe Mode. If it does even there, then you need to re-do your system unless you have a backup image.

The Motley Tech - A Tech Tutorial/Commentary Blog http://themotleytech.wordpress.com

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:33 PM
  • I just completed a fresh install of Windows 7Sp1 with medial I downloaded from MSDN.  I have this exact same problem on my T510.

Was a solution ever found?

Monday, August 5, 2013 1:04 AM
  • I had teh same issue when I installed Daemon Tools Lite. The issue was resolved when i uninstalled it in Safe mode (uninstall process never finished in normal mode).
    Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:27 PM
  • Similar symptoms:

- right click on desktop, select New Text Document

- copy file from one folder to another

- rename file

In all the above, the icons did not appear or update.   Pressing F5 resolved the issue.

I fixed this by uninstalling both the wired and wireless network adapters and rebooting. The network adapters automatically reinstalled.

My symptoms disappeared.

My environment:

Windows 7 64 Enterprise on corporate domain

HP EliteBook 8460p laptop

Network Adapters:

- Wired: Intel 82579LM gigabit

- Wireless: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205

- Several loopback and VMware adapters

- Cisco VPN IPsec and AnyConnect

Not sure if the reboot alone would have worked as I did not try.

Saturday, December 7, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Had this issue on my Win 7 x64 and found it was directly linked to an unavailable network location in Windows explorer. It was the link to my tablet on wifi for me. I deleted the location and the problem immediately cleared. Might not be the same issue for all cases but worth testing out.
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:43 PM
  • OK thanks to NUCLEO I was able to solve the issue (In my case), I went to "properties of Local Area Connection" I only had IPV4 checked, so I did the reverse of NUCLEO and checked "Client for Microsoft Networks" problem rectified immediately !!
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:20 AM
  • For me, the solution was fairly easy, but took a lot of searching.  

- Open the registry editor (regedt32)

- Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID

- Search for DontRefresh as a Value.  For me it was under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance  (Your mileage vay vary.)

- Make sure the value is "0"

BT

Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:26 PM
  • For me, the solution was fairly easy, but took a lot of searching.  

- Open the registry editor (regedt32)

- Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID

- Search for DontRefresh as a Value.  For me it was under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance  (Your mileage vay vary.)

- Make sure the value is "0"

BT

I tried that, but it didn't work for me. Mine was set to 1, and I changed it to 0. Too bad, such a simple fix.

Monday, January 27, 2014 7:54 PM
  • Encountered this problem in Win 8.1, Inadvertantly fixed it following the steps here:

http://www.askvg.com/fix-cant-change-lock-screen-background-and-user-account-picture-in-windows-8/

(Namespace Registry Entry)

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:22 AM
  • I was able to fix my issue by following the advice in the post describing the use of ShellExView.

I installed the program, then sorted by company.  I had a PowerDesk extension running.  "PowerDesk is a third party file viewer).  I disabled the extension, and then Windows File Explorer returned to normal. 

I'm running Windows 8.1.

Mike

Sunday, April 27, 2014 1:48 PM
  • This solved it for me. We removed a server from the network and there was still a link to a folder on it in the Computer explorer. Deleting that network place solved it.
    Monday, September 29, 2014 1:16 PM
  • If anyone is still having trouble with this, something I did worked for me as follows:

1.) Right click on the task bar

2.) click "Task Manager" (alternatively, you can ctrl+atl+delete)

3.) go to the "Processes"  tab

4.) Look for "explorer.exe"

5.) right click on "explorer.exe" and click "end process"

6.) your start menu and task bar should disappear, now click "File>New Task(run)" and in the dialogue box, type "explorer.exe" and click run

7.) Task bar and start menu should reappear, and everything should be back to normal now. Basically this just restarts explorer itself and got the folders to automatically refresh as they should have.

Monday, June 8, 2015 12:32 AM
  • This issue bother me for 2 years, and this solution works! Thanks!
    Monday, June 15, 2015 2:37 AM
  • this worked fine for me, thanks.
    Monday, January 16, 2017 7:19 PM
  • Restarting explorer.exe still works. Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 12:05 AM
  • Good day,
    let me say in my case exactly same condition with a Windows 10 x64 creators edition Pro:

At windows desktop, after create a new folder and try to copy or move documents or images, was a big delay or just simply nothing was aparently copied/moved, need to close an open again such new folder for find out the files or press F5 for refresh.

I fixed the problem. That is true something is relating the network card and windows explorer.

I had a network drive not in use (removed phisically), but link to this network drive was at explorer left panel always. Everytime I use the mouse to drop files from left to right, I had this problem, big delay of refresh or/and files hidden after copy/move/creation. 

I deleted the network drive, also some driver linked to, and suddenly this problem came out. I did not touch the network driver or configuration.

Thank you and kind regards,
    Jose.

Saturday, September 15, 2018 11:02 PM
  • Work for me !!

@2018

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 11:10 PM