none
MIM 2016 SharePoint Databases - Backup RRS feed

• Question

• There are 13 SQL database's created when SharePoint Foundation 2010 SP1 is installed for the MIM Portal to run on.  Do I need to backup all of these databases or just the sharepoint_config.

Seems it would be quite easy to just reinstall SharePoint and point to the server.

Note:  I have my SharePoint and MIM databases on a separate server from my Sync and service and portal apps.

kathy4270

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:14 PM

All replies

• Hello Kathy,

I think there went something wrong in your installation.
    When installed correctly there should one by 3 DBs not 13 !!!

Could it be that you after install of SPF run the WebApp Wizard within the Central Admin ?
    That should normally be skipped and instead use the PowerShell to setup the Site/App for MIM Portal.

I do backup those DBs locally but never need to use those backups in restore, I once ran into Trouble and choose to re-install SPF2010/13 and Portal.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:45 AM
  • I have installed MIM 2016 many times and always followed the technet doc.  Yes, I used the wizard which I have now learned created these extra DBs.  Finally found an article with the PS script.  I would of course just reinstall SharePoint if needed and not back up the three DBs.  My DBAs think differently.  Thank you for your input! 

kathy4270

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

just put the 3 DBs in the Backup, they are not very large so it does not matter.

Beside some config thes will not have relevant MIM data in it.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:41 PM
  • Thank you.  I will have them backup the three.

kathy4270

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:44 PM