Shared DP upgrade successful but content migration failed RRS feed

• Question

• Upgraded a standard 2007 distribution point on a secondary site server to a 2012 DP. The upgrade completed successfully according to the distmgr.log on the primary site server but the content migration failed for all the packages on the DP with the message "Distribution manager failed to connect to the distribution point. Check your network and firewall settings." Tested a successfull push of application content that is setup on the 2012 primary to the ugpraded DP to verify the new DP role.

It looks like just the content migration of the 2007 packages failed. The distribution point upgrade job is in "upgrading distribution point status" and it has been in that status for more than 3 days. Any ideas on what could cause the content migration to fail but the upgrade to succeed?

Monday, July 9, 2012 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Raghu,

It happens where content migration to fail but the upgrade to succeed..

content migration to fail , because in SCCM 2007 where you capt the package Sources files (\\source-Share)  , is inaccessible due to windows access, you try to find out this later. but to do successful DP migration in give everyone full access in package Source files from where its updating binaries. And good luck here you DP up-gradation will be success.

find out below how to trace and monitor this process:

Here is a outcome of my in-place distribution point upgrade from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012 DP.

I got success after 3 days long struggle.

in your part , if it still showing progress of the in-place Distribution Point upgrade, than go to monitoring Tab of SCCM2012 and see the section Content statusà Distribution point Config. Status. Click in the DP you are upgrading and see details section below  right side of Summary. From here you can monitor DP up-gradation and can see errors.

In my case I am success now and my DP upgrade status showing “Completed upgrade distribution point”   and my all migrated packages now showing installed.

***So finally below are the section of monitoring an in-place upgrade

1. Distmgr.log ( of SCCM 2012)
    2. Migmctrl ( of SCCM 2012)
    3. SCCM2012 , go to monitoring and see the section Content statusà Distribution point Config. Status -> click on DP - > check Details tab.

Regards, PBC

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:50 AM
  • I modified the permissions on the package source but that did not change the status of the DP upgrade. I also tested two more secondary site servers with DPs by going thru the same process and ended up with the same result. Any more suggestions?

The distmgr.log file has the following error. The SCCMDP namespace does get successfully created after this error but the package status changes to failed a with a timestamp corresponding to when this error occurs.

CWmi::Connect() failed to connect to \\TST2.XYZ.COM\root\SCCMDP. Error = 0x800706BA SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER 7/10/2012 10:12:26 AM 2972 (0x0B9C)
    GetWMIObject - Failed to connect to root\SCCMDP on ["Display=\\TST2.XYZ.COM\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=TST"]\\TST2.XYZ.COM\. Error code: 0x800706BA SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER 7/10/2012 10:12:26 AM 2972 (0x0B9C)

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:59 PM
  • CWmi::Connect() failed to connect to \\TST2.XYZ.COM\root\SCCMDP. Error = 0x800706BA SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER 7/10/2012 10:12:26 AM 2972 (0x0B9C)

GetWMIObject - Failed to connect to root\SCCMDP on ["Display=\\TST2.XYZ.COM\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=TST"]\\TST2.XYZ.COM\. Error code: 0x800706BA SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER 7/10/2012 10:12:26 AM 2972 (0x0B9C)

Error Code translates to "The RPC server is unavailable". Have you checked firewall settings or connectivity ?

Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur :: MY Site:  www.AnoopCNair.com :: FaceBook:  ConfigMgr(SCCM) Page :: Linkedin:  Linkedin<

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:38 PM
  • As I described in my original post the DP install completes successfully and the namespace gets created during the installation. I can also connect to the wmi namespace from the primary site server under the system context.

It is weird that it tries to connect to the namespace even before the DP role is installed or atleast that is what's happening according to the distmgr log and as soon as that happens it flags the status for all migrating packages as failed.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:00 PM
  • If you think, you need more details in distmgr.log and that will help in troubleshooting then enable NAL logging. I've done this in CM07 not in CM2012.

How to enable NAL logging – It’s enabled in registry on the site server. For more information about NAL logging check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243385/

Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur :: MY Site:  www.AnoopCNair.com :: FaceBook:  ConfigMgr(SCCM) Page :: Linkedin:  Linkedin<

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:20 PM
  • I submitted a case and Microsoft was able to repro this in their lab. You have to call in to get a workaround that would initiate the content conversion.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Raghu,

I have the same issue on some of the servers. Did you find the solution?

Thanks,

Young-

YPae

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:38 PM
  • Raghu,

You can put <DPID>.DPU empty text file in distmgr.box on the SCCM 2012 to start the content conversion. Where DPID is the ID of the SCCM 2012 DP on which the content conversion has to start. You can get "DPID" in "dbo.Distributionpoints" table.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Hi Raghava,

Is it equivalent to right click - Start (to make it re-try)?

Can you explain any benefit of doing "Hack" instead of doing things via AdminUI?

Thanks,

Young-

YPae

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:25 PM
  • Ypae,

If the DP upgrade is already over, there is no point in restarting it again. During content conversion phase you can see this <dpid>.dpu file in distmgr.box any way. So, instead of making the dp to start the content conversion on its own, you are sort of forcing it to happen.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:23 AM