Resolving the infamous "One or more field types are not installed properly" error RRS feed

• Question

• 14 months ago we migrated SP 2007 data to SP 2010.

Within the past couple of weeks, I created a new site on one of the migrated site collections.

Yesterday, the developer attempted to turn on the site's sharepoint server publishing feature.

He got the "One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to the list settings page to delete these fields." error.

He comes to me because he has no idea what that error means. I search the web and see a variety of things it could be.

So I take a look at the first description - take a look at the Relationships List list to see if it has a GroupID column instead of a GroupGUID column.

I don't find such a list on the site - but I do on the site collection. And in fact, the site collection's Relationships List list has the GroupID column.

I look at several postings which all say:

disable the site collection feature, remove the column, re-activate the feature.

However, this is my production system. What I have not yet seen is any mention of what impact on users of the site collection taking this action will have.

Is it safe to deactivate the feature, remote the list, activate the feature?  Could taking these steps break someone's site or cause something they are doing to fail?

Is there a safer action I could take that would result in the fixing this? 

Thank you! 

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Iwvirden,

I'm not sure that whether disables and enables the feature via powershell that things will go "back to normal" and Whether it will have a risk of breaking the site collection.

I suggest you back up your site collection, then create a new site on the site collections, then done the steps which I have suggested.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Lisa Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Iwvirden,

The SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature automatically creates an internal List “Relationships List” which is used to store the variations details.

The actual issue is after migration of the site, the list will have a column GroupId which is of type Text. But actually it should be GroupGuid with type as GUID.

For your issue, we need to delete and re-create the list, follow the steps:

1. Go to Site Settings -> Modify All Site Settings -> Site Collection Features and deactivate SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature.
    2. Navigate to the URL http://site_url/Relationships%20List/allitems.aspx and delete the list from the list settings.
    3. Go to site collection features and activate the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature.
    4. The Relationships list will be created automatically.  the list containing the column GroupGuid of type GUID.

Here is an article with the similar issue, you can use as a reference:

https://chanakyajayabalan.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/one-or-more-field-types-are-not-installed-properly-go-to-list-settings-page-to-delete-these-fields-error-while-viewing-manage-content-structure-page/

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Lisa Chen

Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:30 AM
  • I have seen several blogs which recommend this action. But then I hit

https://sharepointdojo.wordpress.com/tag/do-not-disable-publshing-feature/

And see a case where someone following this type of solution ends up causing additional problems. He says that when he disables and enables the feature via powershell that things go "back to normal".

I am typically skeptical of "back to normal" because for me it usually means "comes back to bite me after a few minutes/hours/days/weeks".

I just am not certain that the risk of breaking our primary site collection is worth the "benefit". 

Is there any way that the needed column could be created from PowerShell without having to turn off the publishing infrastructure feature?

Friday, February 13, 2015 1:56 PM
  • Hi Iwvirden,

I'm not sure that whether disables and enables the feature via powershell that things will go "back to normal" and Whether it will have a risk of breaking the site collection.

I suggest you back up your site collection, then create a new site on the site collections, then done the steps which I have suggested.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Lisa Chen

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:48 AM