Cannot update large document in SharePoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue with a particular document which I can check out from the SharePoint document library but in Microsoft Word the file is still read-only. The document is pretty large (66MB) but I have already increased the maximum upload size in Central Administration and increased the maxRequestLength section in web.config. The large-file-chunk-size is set to the default value of 5MB (5242880 bytes).

I get a couple of strange symptoms when working with this document. Whenever I choose "Edit in Microsoft Office Word" I get a message saying that the document is locked for editing by me. When i try and upload a new version the document is uploaded correctly, but when I select "Check in" afterwards I get an error message saying that my changes conflict with those made concurrently by another user. But all of these symptoms disappear if I cut down the size of the document to around 8MB.

I don't know what else I can check but the error seems very consistent with the size of the document. Does anyone know how I can proceed to find the cause of this?

Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you click Edit in Microsoft Word in a SharePoint document library, Word launches and a document is opened for editing. At the same time, a copy of the document is downloaded and stored in a hidden system folder on your local computer. By default, this is located  in:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.MSO (XP). May differ for windows 7 or 8.

Normally, when you close the Office product, the file is removed from the Content.MSO folder
    If for some reason (internal error), if the document is not removed from that location, it is possible that Office will continue to tell you the file is locked for editing.

The solution to the problem is to simply delete all the files out of the Content.MSO folder and attempt to open the document again from SharePoint. You may want to take backup before deleting.

Hope it helps!

Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Hi prip,

Thanks for the tip - unfortunately there's nothing in there but a single Excel-file.

I can't help but think that SharePoint somehow looses the fact that the same user is uploading the document and also checking it in, and that this also happens when simply opening the document. As I mentioned before I have no issues at all with a smaller version of the same document.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:43 PM