Vista Business machine waking up randomly RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Vista Business to begin testing before we deploy it to any users. Our domain is Windows Server 2003 Native Mode. With no apparent pattern my workstation is on in the morning when I come in. I do not suspect that someone is turning it on. The time is 7:55 am and the only log entries in the security log are for NULL SID and SYSTEM at that time. We also use Verdiem Surveyor power management on our network but my workstation is not in a policy that has wake on LAN defined. Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:02 PM

All replies

• I've seen that sort of activity on machines that don't have Vista video device drivers and are using the built-in VGA driver. Because of the generic driver, all power management actions get messed up. I don't know if that's the case for you, but you might want to check with the manufacturer to see if they support Vista on your PC and then get the appropriate drivers. If not,  I wouldn't deploy Vista to those PCs even if it "installs".

-Rob

Friday, May 25, 2007 12:22 PM
  • Thanks. I will check into that.
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 11:11 PM
  • does the bios on the computer have wake enabled
    Monday, June 4, 2007 1:32 PM
  • No. The problem is that the power button under the start menu is actually set to put the machine into standby. You have to select the arrow and then select shut down. I can't find anything about how to associate the power button with shut down.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Control Panel ->

System and Maintenance ->

Power Options ->

change plan settings ->

Change advanced power settings ->

Power buttons and lid ->

Start menu power button

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:35 PM
  • Brilliant! Thank you!
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:35 PM