none
Any best practice or philosophy for ensuring project handlers cannot freely extend a delayed task to escape from slippage report? RRS feed

• Question

• Any best practice or philosophy for ensuring project handlers cannot freely extend a delayed task to escape from slippage report?

Recently, we made a sample executive report in Project Online to show to our users. This executive report can display all projects' incompleted critical tasks with the number of days between Today and task end date (in descending order) i.e. a task slippage ranking.  However, user said the project handlers or sub-project managers can escape by extending the end-date or duration of any delayed task.  Can anybody tell me what mechanism should be enforced in Project Online to make sure our executive can see any slippages happening (preferably by a report)? e.g. by milestone, baseline, report, access control, workflow, approval, etc?

(fyi, our case doesn't need to turn on timesheet.)

I also wonder how to calculate slippage if user can freely manipulate between 11 baselines and what if the user has made more than 11 times of task changes, which is very common.
    btw, how can I config to only permit to change project task as long as critical path (or project end date) is not impacted?
    • Edited by John Hong Kong Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:52 AM more thinking
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:35 AM

Answers

• Slippage should be based on the current finish date and the baseline rather than the current date. In Project Server you can limit who can save baseline 0-5. Just set the permissions for this group so they cannot save these baselines and then have the PMO or other authority save them and then base your report on the baseline.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:40 PM

All replies

• Slippage should be based on the current finish date and the baseline rather than the current date. In Project Server you can limit who can save baseline 0-5. Just set the permissions for this group so they cannot save these baselines and then have the PMO or other authority save them and then base your report on the baseline.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Thanks.  Our support has a reservation that limiting baseline permission is Project Server permission mode instead of Sharepoint permission mode.  However, if change to Project Server permission mode, it is not that easy to manage (right?) and there will be impact if Microsoft revamp this ambiguity in later version.  So thanks, we might as well ask users to centrally administer baselines themselves.

We used OData to draw the baseline table and found that not all fields of a task are baselined.  Is that right? We have difficulty in finding a sample reports how to really make a report similar to our purpose which should be very common.  So may I ask where can we look for a sample or tutorial for this?

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:33 AM
  • John:

Based on your questions, I think you would benefit from hiring a consultant to help you with this deployment.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:28 PM