Sequencing HEAT Call Logging RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am currently trying to sequence HEAT call logging software that is used by our IT department. The version I am trying to sequence is 8.4 with oracle 11g R2 on a Windows 7 32bit VM. I have tried creating Middleware for the oracle and packaging HEAT by itself. I have also tried packaging both of them as one virtual application. Everytime I open the virtual application (HEAT CallLogging) it closes without error when trying to connect to the Oracle DB. I used to get an error that stated "unable to build a catalog file". If anyone has packaged HEAT and could give some insight I would be very greatful.

Thanks,

Thanks, Ortiz
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:54 PM

Answers

• i sequenced HEAT 8.4.5 semingly successully having the AppV sequencer installed on an XP machine with SP3.
    Before sequencing i'm pretty sure i installed Oracle client on default machine - from memory version 10.2.0.4, despite using Oracle client 11g on our Win 7 x64 machines.
    That way the template machine was ready for any ODBC connection during sequencing.
    If not, i either did it to Q: before or did sequence it....sorry for the different scenario's, it was a while back and i can't find the template i used!

HEAT's vendor, Frontier, advise 8.4.5 not compatible with Windows 7x64 but OK for 32bit.
    Not sure on 8.4 compatibility with Windows 7 so that is something worth looking at.

A problem i might have with it though is some internal functions on the APpV of HEAT.
    Had users acknowledge a call and very occassionally get a print driver spooler crash on the Win7x64 machine.
    Still trying to look over that - if AppV or our new print server with x64/x86 bit drivers.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 11:22 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 12:39 AM

All replies

• Hello,

How did you sequence HEAT? 
    /Znack
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Well to make sure HEAT it self could be sequenced, I ran the installer and captured it with AppV very basic no editing. That worked fine, but when I try to sequence HEAT and Oracle and add the DB that I want to connect too that's when the application crashes without error.

Thanks,

Thanks, Ortiz
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Hello,

So...  how are you sequencing it?

Are you installing it to the default installation directory? What components are part of the sequence? What configuration are you doing? How are you testing it? What did your basic package include as opposed to the full package? What components of the oracle client are you including? When does it crash? When you did the basic package - how were the other components made available? What options do you have when installing? Does it crash during sequencing? Have you tried a different sequencer? have you tried a different OS?

There will always be many new questions of what you did - because you are always leaving many details out in your description of how you have attempted to sequence this and the actual steps for achieving it.

If you check the recipe forum - they contain many steps of howto sequence an application and can perhaps offer you a guidance of howto explain your steps.  

/Znack
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Thanks for your help Znack and quick responses.  I am very new to sequencing and have been reading up on it. To answer your question on how I sequenced it. I did zero changes that's why I did not specify anything.

Are you installing it to the default installation directory?

Yes, No changes were made basic install.

What components are part of the sequence?

Heat and Oracle are the only known components.

What configuration are you doing?

None is needed. I only need HEAT to open a Oracle Database.

How are you testing it?

In a Windows 7 64bit VM.

What did your basic package include as opposed to the full package?

Basic package was an install of HEAT only no changes were ever made. Ran the .exe and captured the events. The full package however contained Oracle 11gR2 installed and HEAT 8.4.

What components of the oracle client are you including?

Will have to check exactly... I know this could be part of my problem as I am using a packaged WISE version of Oracle 11g R2

When does it crash?

Crashes when I try to launch the application in the appv sequencer. The application also crashes when I try to run it on the VM. It seems it crashes when trying to connect to the oracle DB.

When you did the basic package - how were the other components made available?

Not sure what you mean by this. The basic package was just the basic install of HEAT 8.4 and worked fine virtualized.

What options do you have when installing?

Other than folder path and unchecking some features in the HEAT program..... none....

Does it crash during sequencing?

When you have to run the program for the first time to capture the events it crashes when connecting to the Oracle DB.

Have you tried a different sequencer?

No, I was unaware I could use another sequencer to create a AppV application.

have you tried a different OS?

Yes Windows 7 64bit, 32bit, and XP 32bit 

Thanks for the input Znack :)

Ortiz
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:44 PM
  • I would recommend a few approaches:

- stick to a 32-bit OS and Sequencer, especially if all application components are 32-bit

- if you are using Windows 7, ensure all components are compatibile with Windows 7, otherwise stick to using Windows XP on the sequencing VM

- try a standard Oracle client and HEAT installer, i.e. installers that haven't been repackaged

- confirm that the installation and configuration works outside of the Sequencer in the same VM (that is, install without running the Sequencer at all

- once the Oracle client is installed, confirm that you can connect directly to the database (using the ODBC Data Sources or an Oracle client utility)

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Thanks, I will try these methods and post the results.
    Ortiz
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Have you tried creating 2 APPV packages and linking via DSC...remembering to add the Oracle environment variables into the HEAT package as this would be the primary package..?It sounds as if HEAT is trying to connect but does not know where the TNSNAMES is pointed too.....

Gary

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:56 AM
  • i sequenced HEAT 8.4.5 semingly successully having the AppV sequencer installed on an XP machine with SP3.
    Before sequencing i'm pretty sure i installed Oracle client on default machine - from memory version 10.2.0.4, despite using Oracle client 11g on our Win 7 x64 machines.
    That way the template machine was ready for any ODBC connection during sequencing.
    If not, i either did it to Q: before or did sequence it....sorry for the different scenario's, it was a while back and i can't find the template i used!

HEAT's vendor, Frontier, advise 8.4.5 not compatible with Windows 7x64 but OK for 32bit.
    Not sure on 8.4 compatibility with Windows 7 so that is something worth looking at.

A problem i might have with it though is some internal functions on the APpV of HEAT.
    Had users acknowledge a call and very occassionally get a print driver spooler crash on the Win7x64 machine.
    Still trying to look over that - if AppV or our new print server with x64/x86 bit drivers.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 11:22 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 12:39 AM